[7/21/22] Outage General thread

Wolfery is experiencing downtime due to a bug that has gotten a bit out of hand. This thread is for non-bug-related discussions relating to the outage.

2 Likes

First! :3 (Darn it I need more than 20 chars)

1 Like

Any idea of the source yet?

2 Likes

Self-sweeping shenanigans.

1 Like

The outage is believed to be caused by a bunch of people rushing off to experience a bug by performing an action they were explicitly told not to do.

1 Like

Not precisely. Acci’s unavailable annnnd I forget when he gets back so I’m not certain when we’ll get clarity.

From the facts we have so far it seems that characters get desynced from some kind of server state and I kind of wonder if the bad API calls are spinning.

1 Like

Oh of course -.- But it is expected of people…

1 Like

We don’t know that expressly. Things were getting worse before then.

1 Like

I admit, I am guessing. But I doubt it helped.

1 Like

What kind of server do you guys have, hosted by third party?

1 Like

This is not an issue with the physical server. It’s an issue with the code running on it, probably involving infinite loops, so a different hosting wouldn’t have made any real difference.

1 Like

Oh, am just wondering

1 Like

It’s at a managed hosting provider, and is bigger than the ‘potato’ we used to run on. We’ve discussed some changes to improve that but it wouldn’t have helped here like Kai said.

1 Like

Because at least with the potato you can easily monitor ressources, in order to check what’s wrong

1 Like

For example if you have overflowing incoming network connections then you can practically be sure this has nothing to do with your code

1 Like

This forum and the mucklet test server are okay, so it’s not an issue with the actual host.

1 Like

Are they hosted on the same server?

1 Like

Left my machine on. Sorry if I had anything to do with it. :frowning:

1 Like

Oh yeah. to test.mucklet.com, everyone. I guess. Boss wolf doesn’t mind us using it. Usually? :smiley:

Note: Don’t do anything you expect to be permanent there, it gets overwritten… dailyish.

2 Likes

I believe not. Acci question.

1 Like