[7/21/22] Outage General thread

Yes, I believe everything is reset to the main site every midnight Central Europe time (So… an hour an a half from right now) Nothing is persistent, any rooms, character changes, etc will all revert to the main Wolfery’s state then.

1 Like

I can confirm that, based on my software troubles, it at least got worse faster when that behavior started- it was a substantive difference I could watch happen in real time because all the errors showed up on my python console and ground my computer to a halt. The timing was pretty on point

1 Like

So don’t build any new rooms?

1 Like

That would be a good plan. You can, but they won’t stay, probably.

1 Like

No they won’t, I’ve tried in the past. Or more like, I’ve done so in the past, testing Chippy, and they don’t stay as soon as the refresh happens (which it didn’t as far as I can tell)

1 Like

The test might be having problems now

1 Like

never mind it was updating

1 Like

Yep, I was mistaken, it happens at about 1am Central Europe time, not midnight.

1 Like

I bring the good news of the coming of the Rift.

The test server actually has an image from around the time of the crash: And all the characters I can see that were ‘broken’ are now fine. Which implies we just need to get the main server rebooted to fix it.

3 Likes

I leave for work for a few hours and reality collapses. How do I miss all the good parts?

3 Likes

Well that’s good news! Any way you could do it yourself?

1 Like

Not currently, at least.

1 Like

The only thing nicer than Wolfery is the people who keep it running.

Thank you so much to Acci, Talon, and all the others for all your hard work and close attention to the project, whether it’s up or down. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Okay. I see I choose a poor time to be away for two nights in the middle of the forest without any signal. :sweat:

The core service is restarted and Wolfery is back.

2 Likes

The bug is fixed, the server update, and self-sweeping is no longer permitted.

Reason

Self sweeping caused a double-lock on the character, which dead-locks the “thread” (actually the goroutine).
Any other call that would try to read/write to that dead-locked character would in turn dead-lock as well, causing the issue to cascade, until service ended up unresponsive.

Self-sweeping will now show a message:

Cannot sweep yourself.

instead of deadlocking. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How do you sweep yourself? Still didn’t get it

1 Like

Captain America saying “Son, just don’t” dot gif.

1 Like

Ressurecting this thread to answer some questions that were posted:

Wolfery and the test server are hosted on two separate VPS servers. I don’t think the VPS servers are on the same physical machine.

I certainly do not mind! Perfect escape during down times! :sweat_smile:

The test-server reset is set to run 0:15 GMT time, which is a bit silly since the server is physically located in CET timezone. While restoring from backups, the core is down for a minute or so, causing most calls to respond with Not found.

It was done by typing: sweep Accipiter (or your character name)
This is safe to type now, but will result in you getting an error.

2 Likes