[Suggestion]: Make the avatar part of the profile? [SOLVED]

Would it be possible to make the avatar part of the profile? That way if someone switches to a radically different form, their picture in the can change, too.

(Probably especially useful for people who shift species entirely.)

Iā€™ve seen you with multiply avatars, so I understand your request :slight_smile:. Frustrating having to manually switch every time the profile is changed.

It is possible, yes. But the main purpose for the Avatar (at least my thought when creating it) was not to convey appearance, but rather being a graphical identifier, like the name is a textual identifier. More a who you are rather than what you look like.

It is useful to have something visual to look for when scanning the Awake/In room/Mail list. If that avatar changed with profiles, it will weaken that purpose.

Iā€™ll leave the idea open for discussion.

/Accipiter

Iā€™d say it makes more sense to have the avatar tied to the profile. What we are is a big part of who we are here, after all, right? It can just default to being the same and those who wish to change it may do so, right? Since they already can anyway.

Unless that would impose some difficulty or stress on the programming side of things?

You have a good point. :slight_smile:
Also, I realize that, if players wish to use it as part of the profile (as it is evident that some do), they will eventually do scripting/custom client module workarounds for it anyway.

The only way to prevent it would be to make some strict server-side rules like ā€œavatar can only be changed once per dayā€ or something. And I donā€™t think that would be a good idea at all.

There is no extra stress/difficulty server-side. A bit of refactoring.

One question:
For mail (and other similar things to come), where the avatar is shown, should it display the avatar used when sending the mail, or should it always show the present avatar?

I think I am leaning towards showing the avatar used when the mail was sent, and not updating it even if the character changes profile.

Thatā€™s a good question! I think it would make most sense to give control to the sender that the avatar used to send the message at that time is preserved. That way, someone could send mail ā€˜from characterā€™ for roleplay purposes and differentiate those.

1 Like

Added in Release v1.12.0 - Tag groups and tag list GUI