[Suggestion] A tag list for each different profile

Amen, brother. We need the “about” page for each one, too, it’s a pain to change those each time.

2 Likes

I believe the Profile feature was originally intended for ‘Here’s what my character looks like wearing X’ and such, not for transforming you from one character to someone different. That’s what alternate characters are for. I understand some want to use it for changing between different beings, but this is why you are allowed to have multiple characters per account. (Multiple personalities in the same body is a different issue, however, but does not appear to be what is being discussed.)

2 Likes

One can only keep track of so many accounts, especially me with my too many characters/ideas disorder :sweat_smile:

I’ve been told @Travis has multiple personalities/versions of his main character, and I’ve peeked at their tags. All mixed up and such, and a little hard to spot things in an initial tag check.
(If he sees this, what’s the possum’s opinion?)

1 Like

Right. I would love an about section synced with profiles.

1 Like

I’ve been summoned!

It’s definitely something I’d appreciate, since I have Travis’ aspects be different than each other.

Overall, I try to keep his tags universal. Used to have a section on each in my about, but that’s pending re-write.

3 Likes

The poss has spoken!
Thank you for your feedback :heart:

1 Like

I think the about section and tags should be tied to profile. Can think of multiple scenarios one would be looking for different things on the same character based on its current circumstances.

2 Likes

I kinda think the whole profile split should be reworked then – people are already confused about what goes where.

Look could become less stateful and more like it’s been done in the pure text alternatives. You rename ‘description’ into ‘looks’ and force it to be shorter. Now, using look becomes more viable as you can show the text and a mid-sized pfp right there in the scroll buffer. It definitely improves things on mobile where the horizontal estate is much more precious, and makes the whole glancing experience more streamlined.

We lose the yellow indication, then, but it was never obvious to begin with. Instead, a simple xxx looked at you. message would work much better.

1 Like

A big remake isn’t exactly what I meant, eek :sweat_smile:
I very much like the yellow bar beside a character when they look at your own character, myself. It’s a subtle interest thing.
I also wouldn’t really want a shorter description, since I make multi-section long-ass detailed ones, but that’s just me, I think. (A lot of people don’t put a lot of effort into descriptions, heh :sweat_smile: )
An ‘xxx looked at you’ message sounds a little annoying to me, and it might clutter up an already busy public scene even more, such as in the station park where sometimes one can’t hear themself think as it is.

If we could simply have the ‘edit profile’ interface look identical to the ‘edit character’ interface, that would be great.

1 Like

What Vernon mentions is the reason why things are currently as they are;

Profiles were meant for different appearances, outfits, or shapes (for shakeshifters). Things other characters can only see if they are in the same room… with the exception of avatars, who Azure and Raeth convinced me to include in the Profile early on.

The About and tags were meant as OOC info to help other players get an idea of what kind of player and roleplay they can expect when interacting with a character - to help them know if this is someone they want to interact with. And that is why those things are also accessible while not in the same room.

I can see how it doesn’t really cater to current mood, or the use of tags to describe the character’s current state.

I don’t mind rethinking this… but… While it may make things easier for those using about/tags in that way, will it make the game better or worse for all the others using this info?

1 Like

We would need to give it more time, and more feedback and such.
I appreciate your consideration of my idea :heart:
You’re the boss, so you get to decide what to do! :smiley:

1 Like

I think it adds to the game, honestly. I tend to keep my about and tags terse as it can vary by the day and what kind of mood I’m in.

Say one day I wanna put my pokemon hat on, go battle pokemon, and I’m only interested in pokemon battles and nothing sexual. Maybe this mood could last a week or more for me. The next week I want to go do some RP in a new area and I’m doing continuity shenanigans. Is this not best suited for a profile? I could certainly list out all my moods into dropdowns, but it is still what I’d consider suited for an about section for the kind of roleplay to expect from me.

For the user it is more expressive, and for the searcher it is more informative. I think it is good all around. I suppose there could be discussion of maybe some kind of RP ad system to indicate what one is looking for currently. I’m kind of against reforming the look system as I think the current system has a unique feel to it?

3 Likes

I have an additional/related idea!!
If we could toggle the profile about and profile tags on and off (like the custom teleport messages) then that would give people an option as to whether they want to use it or not!
The default could be ‘off’, too, like the custom teleport.

1 Like

I feel like if attaching the tags to the profile is done, this is the way to do it; it’s also similar to the client I use for traditional mucking. Lots of key settings on a character can be inherited from the “world” definition, and the world definition can be inherited from global defaults. There are checkboxes at strategic points to decide what you want to be inherited, and what you want to be unique to that character.

Come to think of it, I’m going to be gauche and reply to myself.

I’m also going to play. . . cranky old man? Devil’s advocate? Devil’s cranky old advocate.

This feels like this is all sort of overthought. Are people going to be able to figure out what do with multiple tags per profile? What they’re good for, and how to use them?

Are that many people going to want multiple profiles and tagsets for different forms and different moods?

And more to the point, how many people are in the habit of checking someone’s tags habitually just in case they’ve changed?

If you came from FurryMuck or Taps, how often do you find yourself checking someone’s pinfo/cinfo, or wixxx to see if it’s changed? Do you change yours regularly? Does anybody notice?

I think it’s probably okay to just save tags for information that doesn’t change long term, rather than some sort of live status display.

1 Like

Yes, I overthink things every day, thank you.

The main thing I have in mind is, think of Travis with his possum’s forms, and shapeshifters whose personalities change.
Having a disliked tag that also had an “oh, such and such form likes this though!” can be confusing and annoying.

Moods would be an optional use of profile-tags, since personalities would be the more obvious use.

Changing tags whenever you shapeshift is a COMPLETE PAIN IN THE ASS. Try it yourself and you’ll know what I mean.

Having just core information is boring as hell, and it feels limiting.

As for people knowing what they’re for? Um, it should be obvious. And besides, it would ideally be an option to turn profile tag on. The default would probably be ‘off’, similar to custom teleports and such.

As for checking regularly, I have no idea what people would do, since I’m not the general community. If one has obvious form-changing stuff happening, one would probably put that in their about, and ideally say there that the tags change. So on and so forth.

Profile tags being added just as something you could enable would be lovely.

Not many people seem to like this idea.

Also, a profile’d about section would be nice, since my friend Stormy has a character who gender-shifts, and is terrible at using they/them pronouns.

I’ve overthought things many a time over the years, which is why I eventually, occasionally manage to catch myself doing it. :slight_smile:

If I were designing this for a nerd-only environment, for example, I’d have different sets of tags, bindable to one or more profiles, for example, but that’s even worse from a usability standpoint for the average person.

I did have a shapeshifter alt, although they had similar enough interests that I generally kept my tags circumspect and relatively generic in a lot of ways, and either let people find stuff out the old fashioned way, or managed to work what was different in the description. Granted, that only really works well for stuff you can actually discern by looking at someone.

Without going into detail, I do have a kink that doesn’t work on my main, and works well with my alt, but those are entirely different characters. I suspect for people with more radical shapeshifting notions than I implemented, this will feel like a cop-out of sorts.

I think it would be nice to figure out a way to enable more advanced stuff like this under the hood, for power users, and maybe this is something that might be made possible alongside scripting somehow. On the other hand, creating an “advanced” section for stuff like this in the UI would probably also give me flashbacks to Outlook 2007.

It’s not a bad idea, per se, it’s just extra complexity, and. . . if you end up changing your tags frequently, don’t be surprised if most people don’t even notice.

For me it’s friends lists. Confuses the ever-loving spit out of me when I’m logged on as mumble mumble and see Elissa’s friends listed. Does this character know this person? :sweat_smile:

I think notes are there to help with that, I often rely on my memory for interactions I’ve had. Other places have different watch lists for different characters. But I think that is a different topic to discuss, hee.

3 Likes