[suggestion] sample island - a single user tutorial area

ok… I was just trying to create a character and it only gave me an option to choose the name
after that I’ve clicked wake up because it was the only option I had and was immediately throw a wall of text and some random people talking around AND to me
I know the whole point of this is the MU part, but I never joined any of those before they got shut down
I know enough about RP at least, but no matter what I’ve tried to type, I only got a “command not recognized” error
here’s my suggestion:
there was an RPG I’ve played on the PS2, you just start in the middle of the story like any other, but before you leave the starting area, there was an airship of some kind that take you to Sample Island, that would explain the basic of RPG to someone who never picked up a game controller, with a simple objective of collecting 4 staples as a side quest, talk to 3 people in 3 areas, find a lost necklaces, the usual
here’s the thing, you may never know that was a thing unless you went looking for it, someone who played that before can ignore it and would lose nothing, and a new player can do the tutorial and gain some extra levels for a first play
if that doesn’t make much sense:
give prompt to a character that wake up for the first time to do a simple single user tutorial

2 Likes

Hi @KateHanami! And welcome to the forum :smiley:

Yes. Very valid point you’ve got there.
On boarding is tricky. And the game is still in many areas quite experimental in its features.

My idea has been to let the train compartment become a similar “tutorial space”, where each new character exists in their own empty “Train compartment” room, allowing them to safely try out commands as they are instructed by some scripted system.

New player’s can follow that tutorial, and old players can just type go out and be done with it.

However, to make this possible, I need to implement the LUA scripting feature I have in plan.
So, we will probably have to wait a while before that is done.

And once we have it, I surely could need more help in what such a tutorial would be like!

Welcome :smiley:

2 Likes

One of the things I’d been thinking about is making up a tutorial-esque ‘welcome to Sinder’ guide bot that basically gives new people the command and standards of behavior rundown that established players usually end up doing in the Station Park, can answer general questions about Sinder and Wolfery, and maybe also takes them on a little tour (in response to the sort of ‘what even is there to do here?’ thing that comes up when folks have been around for 3-6 hours but not really hung out with someone who’s moving around).

Would that be the sort of thing that would be helpful?

1 Like

Actually, I think that could be a really nice way to solve this.

It wouldn’t work with the current starting room solution though; we have a single room that is set as dark and quiet to prevent new characters from seeing and communicating with one another.

A bot would currently be bound by the same restrictions.
Any good way to handle that before we can script new rooms to be created (and later disposed) on new character creation?

1 Like

As of now, the way I was thinking it’d work would be to provided an automated complement for Tom, waiting on Platform 1 for new arrivals, and greeting them when it sees someone come out of the train, with a prompt to enter a guided introductory conversation which would be scripted out with basic topics that users usually end up directing people to. Since the train compartment leads right to the platform, it seems like a decent place to catch new people.

The topics I’m thinking would be covered would be use of the basic commands, navigating the web interface and map, a quick distillation of the roleplaying guide, the rules, and the standards for interaction, maybe encouragement to fill out their profile if the description is very short or empty and they’ve got no picture, and a rundown of some of the places in the world that are popular, along with a bit of the lore.

I figured the ideal way to script out the dialog tree would be to ask veterans and staff what parts of etiquette, controls, and lore are most important, and then building a dialog tree around that, and maybe incorporating a couple of direct tutorial elements like having them do a whisper, message, pose, and the like, finishing off by referring the new character to points of interest, possibly by putting in a quick guided tour (described in PMs, to not be obstrusive) of the most popular places (station park, hot springs, beach, etc…) to get them traveling around and exploring.

1 Like

I see. Yes, it could work.

If the guide is kept as whispers/messages, it would be possible to do so.
Maybe this guide could be some sort of “Info terminal” which can be interactive. Like, having a set of options where new players can type:

say help profile

… and this would have the bot (a.k.a. info terminal) start giving instructions about it, and also interactively whisper things:

Terminal types out on the screen , “You have not registered your species yet. To set your species, use the set species command in the console. Example: set species = Wolf.”

This way they can also be guided in interaction.
With some thought through dialog, it could be quite a nice tool to introduce newcomers.

2 Likes