Welcome Bot Scripting

I think General might be the category for this one because I couldn’t figure whether it should go under Features, Help or Realm.

So over here @Accipiter and I briefly discussed the possibility of having a sort of ‘welcome bot’ that can fill some of the role that Tom does, and that veteran users often fill when encountering new people in the Station Park.

Conceptually, it’d be a bot that notices when someone comes off the train and prompts them to have a quick talk, telling them things about the commands, social customs, and lore of Wolfery (and maybe a tour- we’ll see). Practically, it’d be a scripted dialog tree the new user can interact with that would be half exposition and half tutorial.

I imagine it’d explain things like pose, say, address and go, discuss proper interaction customs like pose does this "And says this.", describe the UI and how to use it, cover navigation, outline the rules and roleplay standards, and review profile completion.

My question here is to the users who end up explaining things to new users often, what sorts of things do you end up saying over and over, what seems like the most important basics, and which bits of lore and game mechanics need explaining, etc. I’d like to work out a batch of topics, and then present a sort of script for critique as a first evaluation stage before seeing if it’s the sort of thing to pilot.

So- what all things do you think should go into a greeter? What do you get tired of having to explain to new people? What ought to be part of on-boarding so it sticks in the mind and doesn’t have to be a bad habit unlearned?

One of the most common things that comes up, or at least did for a good month or so at one point, was making sure new users knew the difference between pose (and its aliases) and describe (and its aliases) and when each are more appropriate.

An important one that would really help new users that may get frustrated with Chippy is explaining the address command and its aliases in particular.

Another one would be how each command is formatted after it is sent, e.g. How pose essentially affixes the user’s name to the start of the sentance, or how a say is automatically put in quotes.

Or how command chaining works, e.g. @Xetem=>:does an ooc pose address., which does get into command aliases, which to be honest, is the only way I do anything. :joy:

Oh! Also, teaching users the help command and how to browse the documentation.

And the report command, and how to use the GUI to attach logs to reports.

Both of those are also quite important.