IC / OOC Art Gallery - The Pickman Gallery

Pardon me if it’s been tried before, but I was wondering - would people be interested in an art gallery where users could submit their own (presumably furry-based, but maybe not exclusively) art to be displayed? It’d be displayed alongside a title, description, the artist, and links to any of their portfolios / socials / commission info they’d like to include.

I imagine pieces would stay up for a certain period of time, and then be cycled out for either new submissions or blank canvases. What would be a reasonable amount of time? A week? A month?

It would presumably be somewhere in Sinder, but really any of the urban areas would do.

I’d love to hear what you all think. I have a prototype built already, if you’d like to visit - the ID is #cgd5qoe9gbrh4ujtqmag . Piece #1 is set up as a sort of proof of concept. :blush:

7 Likes

I kinda like the idea and it looks cute, but don’t vibe with the notion of massive OOC character promotion. But hear me out.

Wolfery has a bit of an artist problem with everyone and their granny stealing art and making a note akin to ‘the art isn’t mine’ and ‘will remove if asked’. That’s kinda not how art works. I do understand that everyone around has flashy pictures and you’d be singled out for not having one, but distregarding the artists this way? ew.

So if someone makes the art gallery I’d think the only way I’d be content with it was if the illustrations used were either original works or commissions that allow such use (surprise – not all commisons do!) or if the artist explicitly approved such use. It’d be a bit of a logistics nightmare.

To pull that off, you’d have to make an actual replica of how art galleries work, in miniature. Curators who decide which works go on the walls and where, notes on the history of the piece (imaginary of course – butt someone would still need to write a guide), suppliers to check if the OOC owners are fine with the piece displayed.

Of course there will be some OOC reference, but in a form of a small link, now a blob to all the artist’s known and unknown websites.

TL;DR: An IC art gallery? Sign me up. An OOC advertisement space? Meh. There are plenty of those in the outside world.

1 Like

I get what you mean. I was intending it exclusively as a place for original works, with whoever submits them giving proof of creation and a bit of backstory. The links would be in addition to artist credit, so if a viewer really likes someone’s art, they might be able to reach out for a commission. I get the hesitation, though - can you expound on what you mean about the small link?

1 Like

Like in, there should be a single link to credit the artist, not a whole rollover with six links to all their galleries. The content of the room should be primarily IC.

1 Like

Gotcha. I agree, and I’ve edited Piece #1 to reflect that. Is that combined with the originals-only policy still to OOC, or?

1 Like

By original works I mean that to publish a picture in the gallery you need to have rights to do so. So either:

• you’re the one why made it in the first place and you didn’t sell of the rights
  • you’re the one who commissioned someone to do it and they granted you the rights for such use
  • or you reached to either party and they allowed you to use it in such way.
1 Like

Yes. I’m operating primarily off of this definition.

1 Like

The sewer graffiti wall is my attempt at making a gallery (albiet, just one canvas) for artists to display their works on.

I have twice tried to organize the building of a ‘tattoo shop’ in the sewers that would serve as a location for local artists to feature their galleries and commission info in. Trouble is, I know very few of those in the community. I don’t have a gallery myself or take commissions. I would also like someone who is around (and not me) to curate this.

If there are interested artists around who would like to post their info or galleries in Wolfery, I’d like to hear. Otherwise, I’m not sure how interested I am in posting outside artists or reaching out to people to make it advertising space.

I wouldn’t mind a silly IC thing, hah. I’m already imagining a gallery of AI art, blah. Might be neat lore wise.

1 Like

Hah, i know some who would like to! Even me, i was having the same idea but i had no chance to elaborate it since i am Obsessed a lot trying to solve every detail of the island that I am building…

Mhp… A art gallery would fit so great for my island too :thinking:

1 Like

Feel free to put them in touch with me!

I adore the graffiti wall - especially the little drawing of Accipiter. Lack of known artists is my main issue as well - though I hope publicizing the gallery (a forum post, maybe a spot in the monthly paper) would help remedy that.

I want to specify that I’m intending this only for people on Wolfery - not outside artists, not AI art, and not commissions. It’s a place to show off your own art, and for people to reach out to you if they like it.

3 Likes

HAh, that would be soon, i just still needing to fix 2 points and still waiting for another review

1 Like

Hello! As an artist myself, I find this to be an interesting build. As I’m still trying to get back on doing art (and maybe do a travel poster of all the areas in the future as pictured below) I’ll allow you to use any of my art (although a simple image of Nick is the only thing I have).

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you so much! Is that your art?

1 Like

Nope. It’s an example I found on Google.

2 Likes

This sounds interesting.

1 Like

Thank you! Still workin’ on it - just need to find people who’d wanna put their works up.

2 Likes

It sounds like a great idea! I had some plans for a gallery/art learning center, but never really got into developing it extensively. I also think it’d be great for things to remain IC and not turning into an OOC advertisement space or AI art dump.

I don’t put out as much art to the Sinder crowd as I’d like to, but it would be a nice way to show some off from time to time!

2 Likes

Feel free to let me know if you have any pieces you’d like put up!

3 Likes

If I was a better visual artist, then I would submit something.

1 Like