[feature] trim the final double quote in says

It seems like a typo I see quite often, if you open a sentence with a “ shortcut it just feels natural to close it with one too; which also something you do if you sneak a phrase in the end of your “pose”.

It’d be nice to reduce the visual clutter by removing the final “ in says if it’s there (a leading one too, but that’s a harder typo to make)

Mmn, I dunno. The subtle benefit of leaving it in is to demonstrate to new players, by example, that you don’t need to type it.

I assume that if you just hid it, then a significant portion of Wolfery players would just carefully and needlessly end all their spoken commands with end-quotes permanently!

I’m not sure that would be terrible. I’ve been using MU*-like systems for more than twenty years and I still make this typo on a fairly regular basis, simply because I write dialogue tags in other contexts often enough that my fingers are conditioned to end quotations that they start. I’d happily trade one character of extra typing for the cognitive load of needing to remember to omit that last quote.

1 Like

I’m of the mind that " is the shortcut, and ‘say’ is the command. The same for : and pose, p and page, etc. The leading character is the command for how you’re communicating, and the quotes that show on the back and front are the implementation. It’s a consistency.

That may be my longterm-muck preference showing, but I think it’s fine as is.

1 Like

I think this is correctly classified as a feature, not a bug. I agree with Chiaroscuro that the current behavior isn’t broken. On the other hand:

• There’s a common pattern of user-error caused by the current syntax.
  • There’s a straightforward-to-describe change that could let the computer, instead of the human, address that error.
  • The change doesn’t appear to have any substantial negative effects.

(I acknowledge that a change like this would mean you can’t end a statement with two quotes, but I have never seen that done intentionally to the best of my knowledge, and other systems with similar behavior just strip one quote - so if you want to force a " at the end of the say, you can do so by typing "" - which is a little awkward, but now we’ve moved the awkwardness to the rare case of wanting double-quotations from the common case of not wanting them.)

So, I’d be in support of this as a feature. Which doesn’t mean the current way is broken, just that we could improve!

2 Likes

I agree with this argument.

I will implement this client side! :slight_smile:

1 Like