[Feature] Room profiles

I know it was something @Accipiter mentioned in passing when the plaza was Halloween-ified, but I though I’d put it here on the forum as well.

The idea is that like characters, rooms could have profiles that room owners can switch between for things like special event descriptions/pictures (like for holidays, seasons, and such).

It wouldn’t need to be too extensive in my opinion. Just the description and image, nothing to change with the exits, areas, or any other room traits.

8 Likes

I think this is a wonderful idea, i had an idea for a Holodeck of sorts, with premade settings that (with the permission of the owner) could be switched, without the use of bots.

2 Likes

I also like this idea a lot. I’m not sure if it directly applies, but I like the idea of saving drafts of a room description before “publishing” or managing descriptions without being physically present in a room too.

2 Likes

I’d wonder if the exits profiles would work, too. I remember @Soulwing raised the question of different sets of exists for the post office.

1 Like

I could see exits being attached to room profiles as well, though it would be a bit more complex than just the room and description.

Though I could see that as being a cool option for an elevator, train, or similar type of room that keeps each destination as a profile, then switching between the profiles would switch the available exits (be it via bot or script).

Cue Hogwarts moving stairs!

Yes! We, we do need room profiles! Thanks for reminding me of it, @Xetem :smiley:

It could be possible. But this one needs more thinking exactly how they would work.
For starters, I think we’ll skip the exits.

Later with scripting and such, we sure should be able to make Hogwarts moving stairs! :smiley:

The reason why I have avoided remote managing of descriptions is mainly due to simplicity of GUI and development :sweat_smile:. But this I can surely imagine this changing later.
I have a hesitancy against allowing changing things without the one changing it being present, as it can allow for trolling. But I don’t think remote room editing would that big a risk.

With room profiles, you could make ‘draft’ profiles that you edit directly (just like you can with your character profiles)

3 Likes