WIMP - Discontinued

Due to unnavigable differences of opinion around trust, safety, justice and what’s best for the community between me and the staff, the Wolfery Improved mod has unfortunately been permanently discontinued. Thank you to all who helped with the feedback during the time it was active. It is such a shame to have to waste all that effort and goodwill over something I’d have thought to be an obvious ethical choice.

10 Likes

:astonished: :exploding_head: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Instant adopt for me. This feature will go a long way towards ensuring I no longer “enter” prematurely.

1 Like

Installed WIMP and took it for a spin today. Enabled every option available, but didn’t have the opportunity to test some of the multi-character features today. FWIW, initial impressions follow:

Anti-MAV Section

• I like how the private stuff (whispers and messages) are now more clearly defined vs. the public stuff. Consistent styling really makes it clear what’s going on.
  • While I didn’t accidentally enter much today, I did see the warning that I was sending a message without proper punctuation quite a bit today (all expected). Double-tapping enter for those times is a small price to pay.
    • Nitpick: Maybe alter the wording to be Public Communications and Private Communications?

Focus Section

• I enabled everything in this section, just to see what would happen and it was super colorful.
  • I think my preference is the focus dot over the focus underline, but it’s good to see the choice presented.

Overall, provides some QoL enhancements that I don’t think I can live without now.

Thanks for sharing, @Kelmi!

1 Like

Back with more feedback, thoughts, etc.

New Features

Character Section

• Notepad
    Only recently enabled this option, but I :heart: that it renders the Markdown syntax.

This makes the Notes so much more versatile and aesthetically pleasing.

UI Tweaks

• Hide Navigation
    Not working for me.

I tried reloading, but didn’t notice any change. Not sure if the problem is on my end.

• Request Buttons
    Good idea! Especially since the input box requires an explicit click to activate if focus switches from another tab… to type join <char>.

Haven’t had the opportunity to try this one out fully and it only occurred to me as I was typing this up that I could have summoned Quelle…

Prior Features

Anti-MAV

• Are you sure?/It looks like you’re trying to send an incomplete message :paperclip:
    I seem to prematurely “enter” during scenes a lot less than I did before, maybe because the pressure’s off because I have a safety net? Either way, it catches the accidental slips so that I don’t have to ooc Oops! Didn't mean to send that yet! D:, which I appreciate.

Focus Options

• Focus Dot & Focus Underline
    I definitely prefer the focus dot to the focus underline.

Played around with both enabled and to my eyes, the dot is more informative whereas the underline tends to make things appear messy and distracting.

Glad to see you’re continuing to experiment! Thanks for all you done and keep up the good work, @Kelmi! It’s always a treat when a new set of options shows up to try out.

2 Likes

I checked and at the time, WIMP was at 1.3.1. The script updated automagically overnight, so I’m on 1.3.2 now and it works! :smiley:

This is on desktop in Firefox.

1 Like

Coming back to this feature, the Notepad tab doesn’t render the Markdown syntax for me like the normal client does.

Was about to ignorantly post the above, but played around with it a little more. Does the Notepad only support _<text>_ and **<text>** Markdown?

This sure had exploded spectacularly!

This is just a quick update to the good folk using the mod, that further development of the mod is currently on hold as I cannot comfortably maintain a separate clean dev-mucklet account until some reassurances are clarified. The same, naturally, goes for any mucklet client dev from me.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

This is a quick note to say that moderation staff is hiding elements of this post on account of a proposal to sabotage software assets. This constitutes a threat which presents a very real risk to our users.

We acknowledge that this can seem like silencing dissent, but active response and lack of removal within the primary discussion, we hope, indicates that dissent is accepted and welcome, but threats are not.

3 Likes

Ah, see if you’d have just told me that directly, I could have clarified that part immediately. I would hardly call implementing role-based access control sabotage, but that’s not the first thing we disagree on. I wouldn’t recommend for anyone with any roles aside from supporter or pioneer to be running modifications to the software in the first place, considering the risks involved.

Unfortunately, there are immediate consequences for rash speech. Phrases like “a hindrance and a liability” carry distinctly threatening undertones. It is an expectation in our community that speech is meaningful, and thus due consideration to your words is a responsibility.

2 Likes

I am +1ing that this sounds like a threat, especially since you remark on how you would do this if you are feeling petty.

3 Likes

3 Likes

For any staff using it, it would have been a liability from day one regardless of any changes, so nothing is new there… If I was a bad actor, I’d have done something long ago already or slipped in a backdoor without saying anything. It would be silly to do something illegal and announce it ahead of time. No, after disabling, it will simply be a liability with no functionality. And a hindrance, of course, compared to the functionality that it may have once had.

Since this is a feature I’d have regularly implemented into WIMP that I figured out while preparing to put one foot out the door and since I imagine someone else might also benefit from this, I’ll just pop this bad boy into the thread here as a parting gift:

Looking to export the full character log from the very beginning but don’t have the finger fortitude to keep scrolling to the very beginning of your log? No worries! Just drop the below into the browser console to pop up the export dialog for the currently active character at the point in time you wanted. I know at least, eg. @Vernon_Otter has asked about this before.

// Just replace 2024-01-31 with the date you're looking for. Beware if you're American, it's year-month-date.
app.getModule("dialogExportLog").open(app.getModule("player").getActiveChar(), Date.parse("2024-01-31T00:00:00"));

If all you’re looking for is the full log, the below will do. Note that this can take a while and will be a large file for older characters:

app.getModule("dialogExportLog").open(app.getModule("player").getActiveChar(), 0); 

How do I get to the browser console? Ctrl-Shift-I or F12 should open the devtools for you, and you can find the tab from there.

Final WIMP update, Software Sabotage edition!

Chill, it’s a joke.

The command is now there for folk to enjoy too! :slight_smile:
See ya on the other side!

3 Likes

This whole thread jives with my experience attempting to make suggestions to improve the platform.