What's your ideal type of roleplay scene?

People on Wolfery have a variety of different goals when it comes to roleplay. I’m curious about what others enjoy and thought it could make for fun discussion, so I made a thread.

I’ll go first!

My favorite kind of roleplay scene in text RP is low-stakes slice of life, or an adventure! I like taking someone to check out an area of the world and hang out there. Sometimes we even kiss. :open_mouth:

I also like larger hangout scenes that are centered around a common goal; I miss Elissa’s parties at the Caribe, for instance. :slight_smile:

What are yours?

5 Likes

Well, previously I would be able to focus on ERP, but that was in the early stages of my existence in Wolfery. Nowadays, I usually do a slice of life and I don’t want to jump into ERP unless the conditions are deemed appropriate enough.

Hence why I’m barely interested in ERP

I’m kind of a worldbuilding person. If you grab me while I’m in a good mood, you’ll hear more than you’d have expected about all the regions of the Rift. I very much appreciate the deep in-character discussions about producing gallons of wine from three square metres of vineyards, the shortage of unicorns, and why the dragons aren’t smarter than horses.

I do enjoy more active sccenarios too. Sometimes we even kiss.

Generally, I can adapt to every possible location, even though lately Foxhole became my primary base of operations.

6 Likes

When I roleplay, I tend to alternate between worldbuilding and deep lore scenes, or occasionally slice-of-life moments within that universe. I welcome anyone interested because, in the end, a story can be joined in medias res; it’s not exclusive to anyone.

But why do I prefer to write this way? Worldbuilding allows people to engage with the lore, to make their character a part of the world, or to explore it with an existing character. Worldbuilding and lore provide the foundation for characters to meet, fight, fall in love, and anything you can think of. Every other scenario is born from that base, giving context to the story and making it more interesting. It allows me to experience adventures that I normally can’t in real life, and on top of that, explore all the possible side scenarios. I find it fun to create a character, develop it within the world, see how it interacts with others, and observe its growth, and all with a context.

However, I believe this style of writing isn’t very popular because it requires a much higher level of effort—not necessarily in terms of post length, but more in terms of out-of-character effort. To continue a story that people have built together, it’s essential to maintain that collaborative spirit going over time and work, studies and personal stuff can get in the way, as it can get in the way the lack of continuing, which is as valid.

If someone has met me in the world, they might have notice how posts tend to get particularly detailled and long, based on context. This can get annoying to some, unfortunately…

2 Likes

Hmm… This is a really tricky one for me. I’ve never really thought about it before. :thinking:
I tend to go with the flow, so to speak. Though I prefer slice-of-life RPs, I don’t mind when other types of scenes present themselves.

But I think the ideal RP scene for me would be one where I’m able to use my characters to provide some kind of service to another player, or to present them with unique opportunities. I love seeing what other folks come up with when I offer something to them. :shark::dizzy:

Whether it’s opening up a magical potion shop, running a sci-fi genemodding clinic, setting a mischievous genie loose around town, or just simply performing tasks for someone, it’s all for my RP partner to explore and play around with! :shark::sparkles:

I don’t really like writing things just for myself, so instead I like to offer my characters to do things for other folks, if that makes sense.

2 Likes

Aw. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I should have a party soon. My RL has been hectic; I moved. Sounds like a reason to party to me!

4 Likes

As odd as it might sound I’ve always enjoyed being in the background of a scene, as opposed to the center of attention. Being a dull, unamusing side character can have a few merits. Adds to the world a bit instead of it being completely barren, along with adding someone to cheer on the heroes from the sideline.

3 Likes