What to do with the Dock's Warehouse? Shops!

The docks have a warehouse that is empty and the room description invites suggestions for how to utilize it. I propose letting folks run shops inside it such as many RL locales have done with old abandoned transit buildings. I for one would like to put a canoe rental shop inside, as this would give a little bit of space for the shop as well as a protected construction area for the canoes. All the usable exits to the shops would be from within the warehouse itself to keep from cluttering the dock area.

There would need to be the understanding that derelict shops would get removed (unlinked but not deleted so it could be restored if necessary) after a certain point of time. (Perhaps a review of the shop owner activity every month, and removed after 6 consecutive no-shows or something?)

1 Like

I like the idea :smiley:
I am happy to connect this warehouse to the docks. Would you be okay to take ownership of that, so we can ask curious new shop owners to talk to you would then need?
(I really need help to offload things like area management)

Also your thoughts about how to avoid derelict rooms and areas (like these shops).
I still wonder how well puppets can be used to avoid dereliction. That was one of their purposes, but it is still rather experimental. Like, I’ve had a bunch of requests for Miranda, but it is still unknown how well that will work out.

I suppose I could take care of the warehouse on a trial basis. I’m not sure what managing it entails so I can’t say for certain that I would be a good fit for the task.

My only problem with puppets is that everybody plays them differently. If the idea for the shop puppets is that they’re only for shop duties and not a lot of personal interaction, then that wouldn’t be too much of a problem. However we’ve already seen some issues where one character interaction with a puppet controlled separate times by different players has led to some issues. Not just because ‘I don’t know what you did when I was controlled by player X!’ but also ‘I have a completely different playstyle and cannot fit what you did previously in with how I play’. (I can be more detailed in a… less public setting.)

On a side note, what are we calling the realm’s official currency? Or are we bartering? Certainly can’t be cashless!!

Here’s what I came up with for a description of the warehouse exterior to be added to the Docks description, based on what I could see from the overhead map:

The warehouse to the Northeast is a large building clad in corrugated steel. Because of its age, several panels have had to be replaced and sit surrounded by rusty panels to create quite the juxtaposition of new and old. There is a large roll-up door in South wall for moving shop stock and larger items in and out, but the main entrance for shoppers is a set of double-doors on the North end of the West wall.

I’m surprised no one wanted to use it as a criminal hide-out. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: