Typing Indicator

I made a similar post Here proposing a typing Indicator to let others in the same room know if your character is typing a message that they will be able to see when sent.

For example if they are writing a “say” message then it will display that they are typing, but if they are writing a “whisper” message to another Character then it won’t tell you that they are typing.

Whether or not this would work across rooms/areas is up to the boss wolf of course, but would be cool to know when someone is writing you a message.

The pros of this are as follows:

1. You will be able to see who is currently typing and thus can make informed decisions on the roleplay by reducing messages that contradict each other.
  2. You can see when a character is actively typing out a long message and don’t have to check in and make sure they are still there.
  3. It will be able to give characters entering a room a quick idea of how many characters are active in that room.

The cons:

1. Not everyone wants to be known when they are typing, this of course could be completely mitigated with an option to send typing info to the server.
  2. Not everyone types in the wolfery message box, meaning the game would see it as not typing at all.
  3. You may want to be able to turn it off for areas/rooms where it doesn’t particularly play well with a specific room/area. Again this can be mitigated with another option on rooms/areas to turn it off.

Overall it would be a beneficial feature, while it may take some getting used to, it would definitely help the flow of role-plays to be much more smooth going, with less contradictions and less checking to see if another character is typing.

2 Likes

I think I saw this topic come up a long time ago, and the general consensus I saw was that the typing indicator wasn’t something that a large number of forum members wanted. I know that I personally wouldn’t want it, even if it was something that was purely opt in.

It feels like something that even if it was just an opt in option that some more impatient members of the community may weaponize to an extent. Thinking along the lines of “Why aren’t you typing fast enough for my preferences!?” or bugging someone that doesn’t want it to turn it on while they are rping.

And honestly, I don’t even like it on sites like discord or anything else, feels like it puts pressure on you whenever you’re trying to type. Though again, that’s personal preference.

10 Likes