The New Sinder Signposts

The Sign Painter ran all around the town and painted the signposts. Yay!

OOC:

Main roads of Sinder now have arrows in the exit names pointing towards the regional travel; i.e. if you follow the big arrow you will eventually leave Sinder (or make a circle around the lighthouse).

The arrows follow the N-W-S-E compass, and any exit without an arrow leads into a local feature (a building or a subarea).

I know some of you have issues with those arrows not displaying on the phone; we’ll be looking into how to fix that. I’m also really really sorry for ruining your muscle memory (especially around the town centre)!

If you own the property within the town, an arrow was added to your ‘back’ exit and it was reordered to the top (if it wasn’t already). Please do not use the following arrows (or any arrows that look similar) in your exit names: 🡄🡆🡅🡇. I gonna tentatively reserve the following set, too: 🡨🡪🡩🡫🡬🡭🡮🡯• (they are the experimental local fatures. You can see them being used in the valley, but I’m not sure they gonna work well).

If you own the top-level area and want to add the regional arrows, poke me and we’ll look into what’s the best option.

2 Likes

As a frequent user of emojis in my builds, I have noticed that there are some discrepancies between mobile and desktop versions. Some emojis may not be available on one platform or may appear differently on the other. For example, while “roller skate” is available on mobile, it is not on Windows 10. I am not sure about the technical reasons behind this issue, but it may be best to find a universal set of emojis that works on both platforms. It is unclear if this issue can be easily fixed.

2 Likes

It looks like ⇦⇧⇨⇩ and ⇠⇡⇢⇣ work reasonably well on all the devices so I’ll be changing the signage to those.

2 Likes

Given these changes, I’m going through and adding an door icon to my ‘out’ exits. Anyone able to comment on how compatible :door: is on mobile devices?

1 Like

one thing I find annoying with emoji is that they don’t look uniform. One example of that is that the ladder one we considered for going up and down is actually a step ladder on an iPhone. Also, being colourful, they are visually more distracting.

That said, the door isn’t much of a bad one: 🚪 Door Emoji

1 Like

Yes, sadly the door was the only decent thing I could find to represent ‘out’, but it doesn’t show too badly. I think I might move it to the end, though, because putting it at the beginning is a bit jarring when going down the list, barring implementation of some sort of exit icon to hold things like arrows or doors or even a house or bed. (While a cute idea, not sure if exit icons it is good 'cause they’d get cluttered pretty quick!)

3 Likes