Suggestion | Indicate a file size limit

Imagine this: It’s time that you create your sexy-looking character! You look through e621 and other furry sites to find the one that looks good for your profile- Maybe something like a cheetah cop, a cute looking deer, or in a very unfortunate case, my character. You go to upload the image and were hit with Internal error: nats: maximum payload exceeded, which can be confusing for someone who isn’t technical and knows this stuff. This also applies to uploading images in the character, room, and area editing page.

In this simple proposal which I believe would make a difference, there should be a small indicator to let the player know that the file size limit is 3.5 MB (I tested it before the other month) by having it underneath the upload button and on the error message when players tried to crop the image as shown below:

Example of a small text underneath the edit page reading (File size limit: 3.5 MB).

Example of an error message.

The benefits of this proposal would be to relieve some duties of helper roles who might be asked about the internal error and why they couldn’t upload it, and it should deter some confusion on how large an image can be uploaded. I don’t see any downside of this proposal, other than the fact I have to compress the image to meet the “unspecified” file size/

Would love to hear your thoughts.

3 Likes

Good idea! :smiley:

But for starters, I’d probably add an actual file size limit functionality! :sweat:

As of now, the limit is indirectly set by some internal “message size” setting (in NATS server. That is why it says: nats: maximum payload exceeded), which … eh… well. Let’s say that we can improve on that.

But once we have a proper “file size” limit, then we can also have the client warn you like suggested!

1 Like

Or maybe for players moderators and/or supporter tags, the cap could increase? Seen that on Discord and FurAffinity.

1 Like

That is also a good suggestion. Large files takes more resources, which makes it something more suitable for those supporting the game.

But I think it is more just supporter accounts rather than admins and mods, because later on I plan to let anyone create their own realms, and set their own moderators.

And speaking of supporter, I can mention that I sat down yesterday to look at how to integrate supporter payments via Stripe. It turns out to be pretty straight forward! So, yes, I think I will tinker a bit more with some supporter system soon :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hope it takes USD since I knew nothing about currency.

1 Like

They do! Stripe is a US company with HQ in San Francisco. They can handle most any currency, I think.

1 Like

That’ll be so cool. Good luck with all of that ^w^