[Suggestion] Glass Doors

One thing that I think might be an interesting idea is a concept I’m calling “Glass Doors.”

Because in a non-textual environment certain room transitions wouldn’t be blocking visibility between two rooms, for instance, a glass door, or walking down an open street or path, I was thinking we could create an opt-in “glass door” toggle on exits that, when enabled, would show at least a snippet of what could be seen through the door. That being at least some of the avatars of the characters through the door.

I created a mock up of what I’m imagining, though it was done before the most recent update:
Wolfery Glass Doors
So for exits with it enabled, it shows a tiny thumbnail of the occupants on the other side of the room. I’m thinking it would just be the images, no tool tips or names or anything, just images.

This could help people find rooms with other people in them without needing to go navigate through the area list, exploring more naturally. As well as allow people to prepare for transitions, be it going into a room, or having someone else come in.

Again, this would be opt-in by exit owners and ideally would only be used for exits where it makes logistical sense to use it. And it probably wouldn’t be able to work at all with doors to instance rooms.

Any comments, ideas, or other feedback?

12 Likes

This makes good sense to me, there’s plenty of instances where ICly you should be able to see whether the “room” next to you has any population. In a real situation, you would be able to see people further down a path than you have the ability to interact or talk with, so it makes complete sense you should be able to vaguely see people in rooms that would have no visual obstructions.

Obviously you shouldn’t be able to see through anything that would require a harder transition (opening an opaque door, riding a train or ferry, etc.) so I’d agree with it being opt-in.

3 Likes

Ooo.
That is one feature I haven’t even been considering.
But… but… it shouldn’t be too hard to implement either.
And… and… it actually fits in how I want limit what you can see based on where you are.

On top of it, I think it might reduce how often people pop in and out of a room just to check who is there.

It is indeed a nice idea!

7 Likes

That was another part of the thought, yeah. If people pop into a room just because they know a population is in there, then immediately leave out the same exit, this could prevent such “lets just take a look” travel, as such a wanderer would see pretty much everything they’d need to about the room except the actual conversation happening there.

I needed some fun feature to get some inspiration from. This one seems suitable. :slight_smile:
I created a GitHub issue for it:

2 Likes

This is an awesome idea! I have several places I’ve built where you can technically see into another room, like from the living room into the kitchen. It would definitely make the exploring experience more immersive.
All around a good idea <3

(Am I late and this is already in the game? I tend to miss and/or skim over updates O_o)

It is not yet implemented. Acci just put the feature request into the tracker.

Yeah, as Vernon said; It is not released. But I am actually finished with it.

I will for starters only let supporters turn exits transparent, to let them try out the feature. I am not sure if it runs a risk of being abused, especially since it allows you to make “peeping holes” into rooms without the room inhabitants knowing they can be seen.
And also, I like to encourage supporters :grin:

1 Like

Could abuse be prevented by mandating a corresponding transparent exit pointing back to the room? I can’t think of any purpose for a one-way transparent exit other than peeping holes.

1 Like

and I don’t think there’s many areas that technically support a peeping hole other than the bathrooms at the prism apartments.