[Suggestion] Age verification on sign up

I know that the site says 18+ only on sign up, but as more and more folks start joining, it may be necessary to try and at least superficially support this, maybe through a simple date picker.

I know that that’s not really super effective in verifying age, but I think it’d probably be better than just a notice. At least for preventing spam or bot accounts.

Just a thought as the site gains traction.

Or if anyone has any other non-intrusive suggestion on how to verify age that’d probably be a better solution.

3 Likes

Age verification is tricky, and a date picker is often just a checkbox with extra steps. And we have the checkbox.

I second your request; anyone know a good way to do this?

1 Like

There is no way of doing age verification that doesn’t require us to handle personal information as part of it, and we do not want to go there. First of all, it puts a shitton of legal onus on us, and we’re basically going to lose anyone who isn’t willing to jump through those hoops as a player. And given our target audience, we can be pretty sure that’ll be the majority.

We can’t really guard against this any better than having a clear notification and an agreement to terms of service. If someone underage is determined to sneak in, we can’t stop them ahead of time. Catching someone underage is more a matter of gauging interaction.

1 Like

If this would be implemented, you’d be losing a large portion of your potential user base because many people who would want to play out their fantasies would prefer doing so without it being linked to their iRL identities (for very understandable reasons like job security, public image, and what not).
So aside from the legal issues with handling PII, it would be very detrimental to the project as a whole.

1 Like

Yes, that is a good point.
As it stands now, I don’t think we can/should do much about it. Yes. We want adults. But no, we don’t want personal information. The checkbox will probably have to be sufficient.

After all, I have tried my best not to handle any personal information at all, for that very reason.
(Same reason why we don’t persist communication such as say/pose/whisper/etc. as well)

1 Like