Something that disturbs me

I was asked to chime in on this. It’s technically much much simpler to write a bot that has builder permissions. As a regular user to traverse the map you have to go through the exits. You have no idea what’s on the other side. If you previously explored the destination room you can’t confirm that before you travel there. If it’s a one way exit you’re now bound to pathfind your way back. Even if there’s an exit to go back, there’s still a lot of backtracking you have to do.

With a builder token? You scan all the exits in the room you are, mark those you haven’t visited yet, teleport directly to their destinations in order. Rinse, repeat. There’s no step C.

I can’t comment much on the traveling aspect. But I needed a full map because Shinyuu kindly asked me to figure something that would reposition the bank bot automatically instead of having her find a new hiding spot for it every day.

3 Likes

I definitely can see your point on that, and thank you for clarifying, but couldn’t the mapping bot have done that activity on the test server and the bank bot use that map for it’s positioning?

I think part of what spooked some players was they were in private rooms when Ess popped in and started wondering what it was doing, how it got in, and or what it was recording. If it was done on the test server it would be a non-issue. Please don’t get me wrong, I do feel like the responsible thing to do is have the mod staff regularly review all rooms (wether publicly linked or private) for policy violating or illegal content hosted in the room’s description or images, and a map of the rooms of the realm like that would be helpful in that task, but I had thought things like that might be done best on the test server thus without interrupting any active players.

2 Likes

Now that you mention that! Yeah. I just copy-pasted all the code from the bank bot and that’s hardcoded for prod. So the bot ran around in prod too. Derp.

3 Likes

Thanks for listening. I think I was being a touch irrational, just hoping that there would be more public discussion on how bots would be used. I have three shady links to my own hosted content myself in the sewers and have very little footing on that.

I encourage anyone’s bot building, and trust the mods to handle problems when/if they happen. I have had issues with scripts in mucks in the past. Look forward to see if it helps to make wolfery better!

6 Likes

I also like bots to roam around Salagalu, but there will be some form of regulations that President Ayumi will need to pass at some point to stop them from casually floating in mid-air when skydiving.

Or, you know, be in a hot air balloon for quite some time.

1 Like

Why not just make the list of rooms with people in them clickable, and when you click the room you teleport there?

What’s the point of having rooms with stories at all, then?

1 Like

The thing is that if you have a list of rooms where people are, and you teleport there…Meh, I don’t see it work, and for the following reasons:

1. The idea of exploration might die: you are in a world and your characters are pawns that move in this digital world.

2. There are some areas that are private or semi-private, maybe that you can join via solving a riddle. If people are in there, and you can see the room in the list, what would be the purpose? Or Areas that are private. What if my character is in her bedroom having fun, the area is not set as private but has the hidden exit…wouldn’t that mean that someone can just teleport in my room without my consent?

3. Personal opinion only, would ‘kill’ the idea of areas in the first place.

Is true that some areas are far (waves in Nox Aetherna :smiley: ) but there are ways to make them easier to access!

Oh, I totally will deny convenience for that very reason! :grin: While I will happily listen to the community and their amazing input, implementing things they suggest that I believe will bring it closer to what I envision, I will also not be implementing features that does not fit that vision.

The world of Wolfery is made by the community. But the system and the tools are made by me. And I will surely stick to my vision on what I want to achieve. It will in all likelihood not be a 100% match with everyone. But it will hopefully be a good fit for those wanting something similar to what I want.

10 Likes

The thing is not only movement, but there is more to it, people’s interest is one of those.
Like, I am a lore person, so I look out for those who seek lore like I do, of course I travel elsewhere or peek in the park to meet friends!

Various areas are pretty, they show the effort people made to build them, and they are made to rp in there based on their preferences for normal, story based RP. We have Seziban that is for sci-fi in an abandoned state, we have Do’nezo for cosmic horror (from what I read in the setting), you get my area that is dark fantasy and many more. So, if the preference of most people is to go in the park and chat, well is fine! And if someone’s objective is to have sex in the park/foxhole, then is fine too! If someone wants to go to Umber Point and solve an homicide is fine! To each player a style and preference, no?

Sinder is the base town, like a croissant that has no filling or topping; is simple and people like it. Then outside you get different croissant with different filling and topping based on the preference of writers. I, as a player AND writer, prefer fantasy/dark fantasy, so I look out for those areas, so I look out for the croissant I prefer (which I believe tastes like chocolate).

I believe there must be a room that has the purpose of a gathering hub, and if there is none, people will make it anyway. :eyes:

3 Likes

With all the respect I can muster, this right here makes it sound like you don’t have enough time or depth of engagement in Wolfery under your belt to make an informed opinion on what the community here likely wants.

3 Likes

I agree with Kelmi. @moz386’s suggestion implies that he wants this place to be/assumes this place is just a furry chatroom.

I’ve seen so much more creativity then just ‘hey, look at my new glowing character!’ Hours of insane creativity and worldbuilding have gone into the area, leaving hundreds of absolutely delightful places to explore, and write within.

However, I do agree with the original premise of this whole thread. A system to help/push players to spread out and find new places is something we should have. The vast number of people who sit in station park is disappointing, when even they show the creativity of folks I wish I could run into out in the world and start a spontaneous scene with.

The beautiful lake in the forest, the various stores around Salagalu, the insane work of building the Kingdom of Eisenhorn, all if it deserves more love but people stick to Station Park because that’s where everyone else is.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

3 Likes