Reordering of teleports

I’ve been using register teleport for some time now, and the list is getting quite cluttered… Both the list for teleports I register and my own rooms are created and shown in chronological order. This means that the teleports I use most often, public rooms, maybe a particular friend or two, are scattered throughout my list. Currently, the only way I know of to reorder that list is to go to the rooms in the new order I want them to appear in, delete the existing teleport, and then register it again. Every time I add a new teleport, I have to do that for every teleport that I want after it to sort the list. While that is a very messy process, I can’t even do that for rooms I own, the list will stay in that particular order forever unless I delete, recreate, and relink all the rooms after.

As such, I propose that the teleport lists be reorderable in some fashion. There is already a common UI element for reorderable lists which would make sense to use for this. Just add an ‘edit’ button to the title like in other panels to enable the reorder function, and when the editing is done the list goes back to being usable as teleports (with the existing ‘edit’ button per teleport).

4 Likes

Oh, I hadn’t thought of that.
But true, the order now is likely just “sort by registration ID”, which is dependent upon time of creation.

Exists are ordered, yes. But it is actually a bit of a hassle create that type of ordering (from a Dev point of view).

Can we solve it some other way?
One solution may be a combination of two features:

• Teleport filtering (similar to the filtering of the Awake list)
  • Teleport sort-order buttons, allowing you to sort by:
    • A-Z (and reversed Z-A)
    • Last usage
    • Time of registration (or… do we need that really?)

Perhaps some “Favorites” feature that would always end up on top?

2 Likes

Favorites, but make those orderable? This list is already large and cumbersome, and I wonder if ‘adding another list’ really helps this panel. xD

2 Likes

I would imagine favourites would be similar to how Watched characters behave in the Awake list; they will simply be placed at the top of the list - otherwise affected by the same filtering/sorting.

1 Like

This would be nice! The list of people online is very large and watchlist helps manage that.

Would there be a way to sort by area population? Ideally, you would want to go where other people are!

2 Likes

Could you please explain this so I understand the challenge better? I’m guessing that the list of teleports is generated and stored per character, so would it not be simply a matter of populating a ‘sorting UI’ with the list, then getting the result of that to stuff back into the data structure? As the exits are stored per room, it makes sense to me that the structure could be stored and manipulated differently…

1 Like

Ordering can be done in two ways, internally. Either:

1. you add a numeric sort of sortOrder numeric value to each registered node, and then sort the list based on this sortOrder value.
  2. You create a separately stored list, which you can store in the character (or in a parallel database table) in which the ID’s of each node in a sorted list for each character. This is how the exits do it, by storing the list defining the order.

The first one is the simplest. But if you have a list of 1, 2, 3, 4, and now want to Move down nr 1 to place nr 4. This means that when you change the sortOrder for the first item, all other sortOrder values needs to change too. And then you have to change them in an order that cases fewer cases of events to the list. Nghh.
Well. It is just stuff like that. It is nothing that can’t be handled.

But if we go with option 2 , then the issue is more about keeping the entries of teleport nodes in sync with the ID’s in the different sort order lists. But I can perform changes to the list without having to bother too much about how the changes are performed - Resgate will create the necessary events for me.
So, this would probably be the way to go. But… ah… It is not a big deal. It is just that sorting by existing properties is easier :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate that you took the time for it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like this if a list of favorites can’t be managed. I would prefer the latter though!
A star icon somewhere beside the edit teleport/copy room ID button would be the obvious option, I think?
Can we please have a favorite list for teleports and rooms, respectively? >w<

1 Like