[Proposal] Universal Travel Area

This thread is mostly a response to the added pirate ship, proposed airship, the trains and the ferry. As time goes on more and more fast travel options would be added to the world. With more travel modes it becomes nicer from a roleplay perspective but from a user design perspective it can quickly become confusing on how to get to a location. Whilst teleports exist, they have to be manually set as well as found through the world. Remembering all of the teleport locations as well can be somewhat troublesome as well when you have minor as well as major locations in the list.

Whilst not very roleplay friendly, I would suggest creating a new room which can then be linked to by all of these fast travel points. The room itself then would have exits leading to the others across the world. For example, lets say that the Trains have exits to locations A and B, and the ferry has exits to B and C, and Airship has exits to C and D. Instead I propose that the Trains, Ferry and Airship lead to a 5th location, E. E has exits to A, B, C, D and can also have added exits for any extra points in the future.

This would allow players to find points of interest in the wold much easier, allow for travel to be easilly scaleable since you don’t need to change all the forms of travel to a new loctation, simply adding it to the travel location would allow for anyone using the network to go to that new location. Again, it is not very roleplay friendly, since this system would allow someone to board an airship and then arrive at for example an underwater city. Perhaps there is some way to make it lore friendly with the rift, but I do not know enough of how it works to say whether this is possible or not.

I don’t think this makes much sense as it hinders the exploration bit. Why’d you even bother with anything but a train if a train can get you everywhere?

2 Likes

I can still see people using the other travel options, as they may be closer to each character in world compared to a train station, but yes with this system the Train would be far and beyond the most popular form due to its proximity to station park.

I also agree that it does hinder exploration, but my hope is that by making most of the other areas of wolfery more accessable it would encourage exploration of each of those areas more due to the ease of access. It does remove the excitement of finding out how to arrive at each location, so my hope is that the value gained from being able to access these locations quickly and that more people discovering them would outweigh that excitement factor. However I do not feel comfortable asking for such a system to be added unless a vast majority of the playerbase agrees.

The major concern I have is if travel creep could increase, it’s much better to set universal standards early. Right now it isn’t a problem, with the ferry and train being the two ones I am aware of in game currently. It is more so preperation for if there are to be a LOT more travel points proposed in the future similar to the airship. Which seems like it would stop at locations already being serviced by the train/ferry just with a roleplay flavouring added to how you get there.

You should explore more. Fast travelling by riding giant foxes is a thingy!

1 Like

While something like this is very functional mechanically, we’re not really looking to create directory service for every linked area on the service. IC, the method of travel is flavor. OOC, people can already get around it after first visit with any particular character by simply registering a teleport.

Largely if you see the ⛋ character in an area, its been being used to indicate that room is register teleport _____ capable so you can assign your own teleports to them.

1 Like