Output Window: Matching First Name Confusion Issues

Definitely running into this issue more and more as people make characters with matching first names. Had two Asher first names just tonight and having to very specifically tooltip hover to check which one is not optimal. Pages, whispers, say, pose… doesn’t matter where, we only get first name more or less most places.

As a user, I’d like to be able to toggle full name display in all places where names are displayed, even if that means I waste a lot of space displaying that name in the output window - just to make sure I know which person I’m talking to if there are more than one Dragon God Killer Assassin in the same room with slightly different names. Joking aside, common names such as colors, animal names, seasons, months are far too easy to run into more than one of and we probably need to provide a toggle for this soon for an optionally better/different user experience that lets people get around this problem.

As a toggle with two (or more) options, I feel like we’d land in a good spot with letting users tailor their own experience and pick what works best for them based on how big they see the problem as being. (Though for the sake of logging, log files should always include the full name when exported/reported)

4 Likes

I keep running into this too, and I’m thinking that perhaps the most elegant way to solve it would be to have the autocomplete and text display for the room default to presenting the name and surname both when there’s a conflict.