Noise notification maybe?

Hi! So, when I’m doing anything here, I have a tendency to tab out regularly and while the little (1) notification is nice, I’m kinda dumb and don’t notice it sometimes. I was thinking it might be nice to have a little noise notification whenever a character says something or a message is sent? Maybe a little bloop noise that changes in pitch depending on what action happens?

Of course I’m sure some people wouldn’t like this so adding a mute noise button would probably be needed if the idea became reality.

What’s your thoughts on the idea? Like it? Dislike it?

3 Likes

I know that for those on Window 10/11, you can enable a feature in your browser (I have tested on Chrome and Firefox, and I know it doesn’t work on Opera GX. It should also work on Edge by default) to use the native OS notifications instead of the default custom ones, and those provide sound.

That being said, it is browser and OS dependant, and having the option available in the client itself instead of relying on the user’s setup to maybe possibly let you fenagle it would be nice.

Yeah, I use the site on a 7 year old Chromebook that doesn’t have built-in notifications. While I’m sure I’m an outlier, there’s most likely others out there without the ability to make custom notifications too!

In any case, I’m happy to be not the only one who finds the idea to be a nice one :grin:

Audio notifications have been rattling around in my head for a couple days. I went looking around and spotted this.

As near as I can tell, there’s no obvious way to make a browser notification make a noise in macOS, unfortunately; I can’t tell that Edge even has an option to use OS notifications; the toasts it produces are obviously not OS-native. That said, macOS (and iOS, similarly) have controls to allow or prevent sounds being used in notifications, but no way to assign one.

With that in mind, I’d like to suggest this as a potential feature for down the road (it feels like there’s probably more important things priority wise; this is just a nice-to-have kind of thing).

I’m picturing something that allows for it to be an optional feature of various event types (a focused line of text appears, a highlighted word appears, a message or whisper arrives, mail arrives), each with a toggle to enable a sound, and a dropdown to select possible sounds to use as an alert.

I am deliberately not suggesting the more flexible type of condition/action event system I’m used to from my more traditional muck client, which seems like it might introduce a bit too much complexity.

We do have the following GitHub issue:

The way I imagined it was to simply have the browser tab play a sound. Not using any OS notification system or anything. Though, I know this won’t work well on Mobile though, as it disconnects it quickly. But for starters, I imagined just simple Desktop support.

On mobile, we will probably have to work with some Push Notifications later on.

I agree that we don’t need full flexibility. But we do want some flexibility though. As long as it is simple to configure and understand, it is okay.