Magic Guild

I’ve had the idea of setting up a Magic Guild/Tavern for mages, witches, wizards and magic users alike. Thought this would be a fun addition, the location of the guild however is up for discussion.

5 Likes

Perhaps a mountaintop resort, more like a monastery than a ski lodge? Less for tourism, and more for tranquility, to aid in spellcasting and rituals.

3 Likes

That’s actually a really cool idea.

I’ve got a magic character or two myself, and though I’m currently playing around with the idea of making a magic forest-type area, it would be cool to see some more magic-themed areas popping up, especially a magic guild! c:

2 Likes

If you will opt in for mountains, please chat with me. I got some lore ideas for magic up north that might work for you.

3 Likes

I created a basic layout but I’d love some feedback from the actual magic users on the areas that would fit in. Poke me IC to get a tour around.

2 Likes

If any builders want to come take a look, it’s #cbemv269gbrtpnj9iqg0. The lore’s already in the library (electric currents).

1 Like

The location is really cool and has so much lore to unravel and so many possibilities, I could almost imagine this place having an old temple or shrine like room in the caves where a guild hall could be in, a place mages of old would travel to find tranquility as they study magic.

as a primary caster and teacher of advanced magical theory i had been considering such an endeavor already, id be interested in chatting further on it personally.

1 Like

Sounds great, I’m a beginner level student myself.

I’ve had this place brought to my attention, and got a tour from Shinyuu. It’s quite a well-written area!

alright, so ive taken a run through the area. i like the general thought but i do have a lot of things to note that are. keep in mind. suggestions. im not trying to steal anyone’s anything or take over a project. so with that in mind. here we go!

1. ive noticed that the areas while connected seem disjointed in their design. they all use different kinds of lighting and seem to switch randomly between non magical tech and magical devices/ enchantments.

id suggest getting images that depict similar enough rooms that they all feel like part of the same structure. probably clean up the exposed cables lol. then decide what level of magitech you want involved fill the rooms with similar forms of light and then replace all insistence’s of modern tech with magical equivalents/ enchantments. somewhat like the device in your crest room.

1. some of the rooms feel a bit empty or unoccupied/cared about. as a caster. a library is a massively helpful place generally speaking, but its got less of a description than the cafe. which is. not really as important to the theme of a magical research facility. (not that its bad to have though.)

my suggestion here is that you look at the theme you set up then spend a little time working on making the rooms all feel a little more inhabited and thematically useful. the material room, library and showers are a few. the showers odly enough could be pretty cool if you give em a magic or alchemical theme.

1. a few rooms could use rearranging or reworking. the laboratory and the practice hall. could use a little rework. as the laboratory has more material mentioned inside it than the actual material room which is one that feel a little empty. and with safty in mind it may be a good idea to move the practice room out of the area with all the other magical material and unstable test machinery. into its own place off of the main board walk.

i would suggest making 2-3 rooms in the lab to split up its use being the alchemy, spellcraft and lecture hall. though this last one may be a good fit within the library. so the lab can be used for magical object creation.

4 it might be worth finding a single magical theory to base the zone off of. i know basically all of us casters use different meta-magic theory to make or use our particular spells and magical effects. making it a little hard for all those involved to agree upon how things work.

i have a few more things id be willing to talk about but this at least a start for people to talk about and look at.

Now, this is all great feedback and it properly kicked my gears into the working order.

I think I need to split it all into these storylines to make it more organised:

• the first one is the story of an old recearch facility that happened to end there because of the rift
  • the second one is the consequences of housing a tear inside. This is where magic starts to seep in
  • and the final one is the story of wizards trying to study the first two and repurposing it to their needs.

any advise on this? I’m not much versed in magical theories ourside of various r/writing allomancy memes. I don’t think I’m in position to come up with a unifiying magical syatem so I need something that would work well for most of the populace.

For the needs for the area, I could mostly get away with inscriptions, pentagrams, and such.

Oh right, I meant to tell you. :smiley: Good thing someone did.

1 Like

I’ve cleaned up some of the previosuly suggested rooms so that we have every room serve some purpose and expanded the story bits into the rest. I think they have an organic flow between them now.

1 Like

I further improved the exit messages and I think the area is ready for some builder to drop by and tell me what else needs to be done to get this linked.

I added the overall area and updated the description / rules. There will be a bit of a delay for all the room art, I’m still working on the chateau, but I’ll get there.

@Raeth I had a brief chat with Meraxes and they said that it’s thematically unfit for wilderness. Would it make sense to have another pass through the forest and into the mountains then? This area would really benefit from being in the north mountains somewhere but I’m not specifically set on the ‘north’ part – I can easily update the library books to refer some other mountains.

I don’t know much about the plans for the east side of Sinder but I caught some glimpses of ideas from @Accipiter here and there. Would it make sense to put this in the North-East mountains then given the whole nature of the #cbemv4u9gbrtpnj9iql0 thing?

edit: Never mind, Meraxes got a much better idea; all sorted on the location now!

1 Like

I think leaving things open is actually a positive in a place like Sinder – narratively, the Rift already frustrates expectations about things like the passage of time, arrangement of space, and such. It feels weird to me that something as fundamentally fuzzy-edged as magic would be the only thing that has consistent rules, when much more fundamental traits of reality are deliberately blurred.

That’s fair. I think I added enough of varied magic in the area to not show clear preference. Lore-wise I’m only unconfrtable with people teleporting around these rooms.

One interesting thing is that there’s different ideas of magic - like the hard D&D styled magic that Aluth does, or what Alexander does, etc, etc.

A neat mechanic would be letting some variation coexist by saying you’re drawing on your origin-place energy through the Rift.

Drawing energy from the Rift sounds quite scary to me.

1 Like