[Linked!] The Clock Tower

I made a little clock tower that might fit just west from the station park. The room teleport is <snip> (apparently it shouldn’t be public?).

The idea is several rooms stacked on top of each other, where every one focuses on some new and interesting view of the town; so far:

• the first floor is a window outlooking the park
  • the second floor is the clocktower mechanism
  • the third floor is an open rooftop

Pretty much all of the artwork comes from unsplash.

I suggest this is linked either to the park or to the Sinder Lane (can we make an extra tile between the current two?). For now I’ll send the request for the latter

I think I should actually elaborate on ‘why’ (because sure the city centre is crowded).

The primary selling points are: clock towers are awfully nice, they have the bells, and you can have the overview of everything around if you climb up top. Like an in-world mini-map of sorts (subject to my freshing up the desription proper, of course)

@Accipiter Any thoughts regarding adding the clock tower officially, since this is directly part of Sinder?

Biggest thoughts are:
• As part of Sinder, rules/theme would likely need to match Sinder itself (Especially with the proximity of the location to the park - arguably the heart of social activity for obvious reasons.
• An additional link to the park means increased travel messages as people bounce back and forth (which may be resolved by a potential future feature to reduce the footprint of various types of messages)
• Typically with a location that isn’t a residence and isn’t really a business run by any particular user, I would want to consider having ownership transferred to/absorbed by the character which owns Town of Sinder since it is more or less city infrastructure, however…
• …so long as there are no additional links or sub-zones without express permission by the build team, this matter might not be as much of a concern, especially with the understanding that the build may be reabsorbed if necessary.

• Installed go back routing from every exit leading to the entry point of the location.

Initial needs:
• Travel messages of the public exits need to be cleaned up with care to make sure they clearly communicate enough information that characters in each room can clearly tell where people are coming from or going to while travelling.
• Travel messages which also do their best to not duplicate the room name too directly area also good for helping against the location names showing twice in a row.
• Create an area to contain the 4 rooms which comprise this location: Clocktower of Sinder or Sinder Clocktower or name yet unsuggested (but on theme mostly) - this is a good practice anyhow for people who made an area yet. Feel free to reach out if you need some help with this. :slight_smile: After the area is created, we can assign the parent area to Town of Sinder and that will allow it to be a condensed location in the population list of town.

Other than that, the location is straight to the point.

Thanks for your feedback, I’ll work on inproving the travel messages (overlooked them at first) and all the other issues you pointed out.

1 Like

When I heard about “Clock tower”, I thought about the Town Hall, which I at some point in time considered to be located directly east of the park. But a clock tower to the west works fine too!

I would agree to tie it to the new Sinder Lane node. If feels like a nice addition! And maybe later, when we actually build a Town Hall, we can build it around the clock tower. Town Halls need clock towers, right?

We would need the clock tower on the map as well.

Hopefully I got the theme and the mood quite right.

I’m absolutely fine with either! I think the tower as it stands now tells a little bit of story in itself so there’s no need to randomly expand it. That said – I left some options open if such expansion is needed later on.

Did that!

Tried to make that work proper, although I did some duplication with the staircases.

Done: #caksm7e9gbrqf7050vg0

On the rooms: I added a couple hidden exits that still should be discoverable for those who will try to explore a bit more of the tower (one of those is an opportunity to expand out further if needed).

This location has been linked in. ^^

2 Likes

Noticed a small discrepancy, you can get to the clock tower from both Station Park and the town center.

From the clock tower, however, you can only go to the town center, meaning that if you came from Station Park you can’t return there without going through the town center first.

1 Like

You actually can, it’s just a hidden exit. But yeahs, I think it’s a good time to clean it up.

1 Like