[LINKED] Proposal: A news stand!

I’m sure some of us have taken a break or something and come back to see a bunch of stuff has changed! Perhaps someone is new and wants to see what’s been going on recently in Sinder? Well, instead of asking around to see what’s the latest news, perhaps there’s a stand that shows it off?

Here’s what I’m thinking here; a small newspaper that’s updated either weekly or biweekly that presents the latest news about Sinder and its residents! Then for flavor, perhaps have some advertisements for local businesses and such in there too?

This is a VERY rough idea that I’d like to make a reality! Before I do, I just want to get people’s thoughts on the matter. What do you think? Like the idea? You don’t? Let me hear your opinion!

9 Likes

I love the idea of a newsletter! It has its challenges, though, in particular with the time commitment involved. Two bits of advice from me:

• Start by mocking up an issue, including content (Summaries of stuff on the notice board? Interviews with residents?) and note how long it takes. That will give you a yardstick for the overall time required to put an issue together.

• Weekly or biweekly is probably too frequent, even for a very short newsletter. I advise a more modest initial pace, such as monthly, or even quarterly. If after a couple of issues you find that you have an ongoing surplus of both the amount of news and amount of volunteer energy, then you can increase it from there.

4 Likes

Great advice! I wrote the idea down super late and wanted feedback when I got up so I hadn’t put enough thought into the frequency of new additions. After spending the day thinking about it, I do agree with slower releases. Monthly most likely is what I’ll do, though quarterly is still an idea

I still have a lot of work ahead with figuring out how exactly I’ll get it done, how it’ll look, what will all be in the newspaper, etc. I was more focused on figuring out how the rest of Wolfery felt about the idea so I didn’t get too far into it only to realize nobody cared. Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it :smiley:

2 Likes

It is a lovely idea. I wonder how it might be organized. I would like to see different people write columns and have it editorialized into a nice document. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think that it would be an amazing idea to have a Sinder newspaper! depending on how long in between papers the writers should switch (Just an idea.)

2 Likes

I have characters that roam around a bunch, so maybe we could get a little group of people together to pull the newsletter into one big info-project?

I like the idea of my bat dragon flying around and just finally having a use for his recordings besides his voice. Plus, news is always fun to gather; getting ‘the big scoop’ would be a fun little thing to do every here-and-there!

When you have a rough-draft up of an issue, by the way, I’d love to see.

1 Like

I would love to have multiple people helping with this! Having more people on at different times would make getting news much easier! Of course, I have to get a draft first, then afterwards look for help getting it just right!

The newspaper I think should be all in character, with perhaps a small OOC section somewhere, most likely near the end? So far, I’ve thought out getting headlines, news sections, announcements, an advertisement or two, and maybe even having a section where I interview prominent people around Sinder?

At the moment, it’s looking to be a small newsletter but I’m sure that’ll change if more people input their own little columns and such! When I do have a rough draft written, I’ll make sure to place it in here somewhere!

1 Like

This sounds like a fun idea. I’d be down to contribute as well.

count me in for news writer lol

Alright, so this is the mock-up for the newspaper! It’s only four pages to show the general layout of the paper. More pages will be added when necessary of course! I plan for it to be a monthly paper detailing everything that happened in the past month. Let me know if you like it and if there’s anything you’d personally change on it! Note: all the stories in the mock-up are fake and just made to give flavor.

Let me hear your thoughts on the paper! If you do like it and wish to contribute in any way, message me here or mail Ellianna Crosswell.

4 Likes

Opens the morning newspaper. Oh look; someone’s going to put a staff up for show in my home! Keeps reading and studies teh clock tower article. Now that’s fake news!

All and all I love it; great stuff! Given you’re the editor in chief now, though, I’d appreciate having the news do a lore check with the area owners. The chronicle should be a reputable periodic and not just some yellow press.

1 Like

And geezies; we need more fake statistics. That one in the end was hilarious.

Oh of course! I’m taking it in steps at the moment, getting the core of the whole newspaper set up first then working on the specifics. Next up after I get public approval is getting the paper set up somewhere, hopefully in town ^^ Then help getting news, making sure it’s all perfect, then hopefully, the first paper can come out by the end of this month! That’s just wishful thinking though.

2 Likes

To be clear, are you looking to run a local newsprint publisher with a small store front on the face of the building - not just a little stand that sells tabloids/mags/newspaper of all sorts, but instead more focused on running your own small town paper?

If so, this actually fits my ideas for wanting a couple of small town tradespeople running smaller shops along westside road or near the docks.

I’m focused on becoming a local newsprint publisher! The plan is monthly editions of a paper chronicling the last month’s events and including little community bits too if people are interested in adding their own columns.

I planned for having a small stand somewhere that allow people to grab the latest edition of the paper for free. Then there’d be a real small office right by it.

Super cool. ^^ We’ll have to find you a happy little nook for this idea.

For some reason, at first glance I was seeing news stand and thing more along the lines of inner city news stand where they sell convenience goods and papers and mags and anything passing pedestrians might need to grab really quick - which would overlap a bit with corner stores/grocery themes. Much much less of a concern if you’re looking to push the publishing angle more-so.

That sounds great! I don’t mind where it’s placed at all, just that it is ^^

If you would like to see my vision for the stand and the office, I did make up a small 3 room area for it already? Maybe getting to see the idea I had for the place would help you picture it better?