[LINKED!] Cascade Island Area Proposal

Hi! This is Brooksong… and I made an island. :grin:

I’m hoping it can be a place for some friendly roleplaying with themes of found-family community, appreciating nature, and a splash of mysticism!

I’d love for it to grow and change over time based on what the people roleplaying there want, but I think I’ve got a good core built to let us get started. It’s even got a village that can host people’s secret-exit homes!

I think it’d fit well as one of the islands you can already see on the world map, accessible by ferry from the docks (or maybe beach?) of Sinder.

The ‘entry point’ is #caiiiim9gbrqf702qr30 - or just ask Brooksong or Riverrynn on-game!

4 Likes

Seeing as this isn’t really seated on the train line and there are no questions to address related to that…

I’ve already reviewed the area and have seen that you have the area established with a proper about area section. I’m keen to get this zone linked immediately.

I imagine this is probably going to be its own zone beneath Wolfery>Cascade Island similar to Forest/Wilderness/Cape Theia.

Is the idea to link this to the docks location in Town of Sinder (or any other future docks which wish to cross-link to Cascade Island then?)

1 Like

Yeah, my thought for connecting it is to have the Town of Sinder Docks have an exit to an ‘Aboard the Ferry’ room (I have a desc that could be used for such, if wanted!) - that will then have an exit onto the Beach room of Cascade Island. Any future docks could then also be connected to that ‘Aboard the Ferry’ room.

(We could also link the Sinder Docks to the Cascade Beach directly! Dunno how future-proof folks are interested in making the space-design.)

1 Like

My thought when you proposed the area was from the Beach or Docks, yes. One thought about the Beach is with Club Caribe it’s becoming a secondary navigation hub all by itself. Docks also work! It’s not that strong of a thought.

Most of us are trying to do some Traffic Design, but it’s still in early stages.

(now that I’ve had another thought, sheer ‘traffic driving’ might be actively detrimental to something with such an intentional community-feel.)

2 Likes

Thought about it for a bit.
I think the ferry terminal/ticketing office at the cargo docks makes sense because 1. passengers + 2. cargo to islands logistically speaking also makes sense to one-stop-shop the situation.
(though I had considered the idea of a pier for a moment, it made slightly less sense for also moving cargo from there as the town is currently laid out I think.)

I think I have a strong temporary plan here:

• Build the Ferry: Ticketing/Waiting (maybe an outdoor style ticketing/waiting booth aside from the rest of the docks, described with both smaller and larger passenger boats occasionally coming or going?)
• Connect it tempo-permanently to the Docks
• …and if we need to change the Ferry Terminal’s exit location afterward, as long as the description is kept exclusive to itself, we can place it wherever we need after the fact if our opinion changes after the fact.

1 Like

I like it!

Adding the Ferry Terminal gives us a second dimension of growth. An aquatic train if you will.

(And thus I’m thinking of referencing Tim, the badger boat captain…)

1 Like

An island with… otters? IT HAS A HOT SPRINGS? There will be OTTERS in the HOT SPRINGS?! I’m sold! starts trying to build a ferry out of spare scrap himself!

Hehe, in all seriousness though, it looks great! I’m all about this and it’s definitely a niche that feels like is currently unrepresented in major publicly-linked space. I really like the low-tech emphasis and requirements. Though consequently, it has me craving a specifically high-tech area, too! Regardless… beaches, cookouts, mysticism, hot springs, otters, waves lapping at the shore, otters lapping at- AHEM

Fennec stamp of approval! stamps his paws in the beach sand!

2 Likes

This looks done.
I’ve gone ahead and wired it all together.

TO-DO
• Change room owner of Sinder Ferry Terminal to whichever character owns primary Sinder structures.

1 Like

YaaaAAAAAaaaay! /kermit

The first beach party is being planned. Unless, of course, an impromptu beach party happens first, in which case the beach party we’re planning will just have to be the second one. Or third. Or whatever!

Thank you for helping us make this thing happen! <3

3 Likes

Yep! Thanks for having everything more or less ready to go and for making the ferry/terminal as requested. Saved me some extra work.

1 Like

I took the opportunity to explore the new landscape a bit.
Beautiful descriptions, very informative abouts and overall a gorgeous place, very well done ^^

I hovever noticed one thing that still is in the default settings. With you putting such detail in every room, the travel messages don’t really support that feel, which is in my opinion a missed opportunity.

You can immerse the player with the travel messages even further, let them read what they walk through and witness while changing rooms :3

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

I’m hesitant to get too detailed with travel messages for two reasons:

First, they’re something that’s going to be seen repeatedly. It’s easy for them to become ‘too much’ or get tiresome through repetition.

Second, the more detailed one tries to make them, the harder it is to avoid making assumptions about the character and what they’re doing. What if they have wings, and are flying? Then, a description about ‘climbing over rocks’ would make no sense. What if they’ve just posed stumbling away in tears? They probably wouldn’t feel their heart lift at a beautiful scene! I’d rather leave it a bit generic and let the players fill in what makes sense for their characters and the scene.

I’m glad you enjoyed looking around the area, though, and I hope to see you more in the future!

1 Like

Fair enough, I get your reasoning. And I don’t ask of travel novels. Only to make them a tiny bit less generic, supporting the island feel.
Let’s take for example the arena.

X goes to the arena.
This doesn’t really set the scene for what an arena represents. You can still remain generic by describing briefly the energizing atmosphere of many battles fought. Just as a travel message into the bog can set the tone for a scary place, this could set the scene for a place to test your wits or witness others getting caught in the energy of the arena, fueling their fighting spirit.

2 Likes

I’d actually taken notice of the travel info visual aesthetic while I was there and was pondering it as well. I agree with your sentiments regarding not wanting to assume for the characters, but I’m wondering if its simply due to the simplicity of the naming conventions that currently exist in the zone causing the effect maybe?

Adding some additional noise to the painting by changing up the room names themselves to be more complex or shifting the travel messages to lean into synonyms of the existing room names might help break up the current effect.

2 Likes

So, I’ve gone through and adjusted (most) of the travel messages - the arrive/leave that other characters see are still generic, but I’ve tried to change the actual travel messages seen by the person moving to be slightly more descriptive, or at the very least, to avoid using the name of the room so that the player doesn’t see it twice in quick succession.

I’m sure they could still be better! But, leaning into synonyms is what my brain is capable of right now.

2 Likes

The island looks great, love to see it start to fill with folks. But on that note, one suggestion is to make sure auto-sweeping is on for public rooms. There are already a few bodies piling up of folks who didn’t make their way home before logging off. Offline characters can make a busy place look even busier (to it’s detriment) and feels very cluttered in my opinion.

Loving the island, looks like a great place.

2 Likes

Thank you!

As far as auto-sweep goes… mmh. If that’s the norm for this realm, I can turn it on, but it was a somewhat intentional decision to leave it off - sleeping bodies can definitely be a problem, but having people able to wake up and be reminded of where they were and what they were doing can be helpful to overcoming inertia and getting them to stay engaged. (Ideally, I’d want the auto-sweep to sleeping-room-in-area feature that I see Tasho’s already proposed.)

2 Likes

Respecto a los de la isla se va a ubicar en algún tiempo especifico me refiero a victoriano, industrial, colonial a un creo que será mas a tiempos modernos seria interesante tener esta opción seria interesante para la infraestructura seria interesante algo con letreros de neón.

1 Like

If you are unable to speak English, it may be hard for others to understand. This site is primarily English language for communication in public spaces.

It sounds like you’re looking for a different location which is still an island but more modern though? That might have to be a different project in the future.

1 Like