[LINKED] A Tea Shop in the Wilderness Hills

Hi hi~

I like to travel to the Azurite Lake sometimes but I noticed there are no public teleport points nearby. I don’t mind going through the forest but I feel the place is very much detached from the rest of the world (probably on purpose!) and I was wondering about making something fun and useful to add into the world!

So I came up with a little tea shop that I’d like to connect to it!

Entry room id: #case6ku9gbrmb43fqgag

I wanted to build something that is both fun and convenient, and two things caught my eye: teleportation and secret rooms!

1. To enter the tea shop, you must first answer a riddle! I wanted to make it feel like a tutorial, in which the challenge is not to figure out the commands but the answer, and explain to the user how to interact with it, and even hint that there may be more secrets hidden around the world! I tried to pick a fairly easy riddle to figure out or even look up on the internet for this!
  2. in the shop, there’s a garden, where people can chill and more conveniently also register a teleport location! Again I included some instructions for that!
  3. the shop itself is just very welcoming and chill! I want people to feel at ease and relax, and feel free to roleplay as they wish!

I’ll be using the same area rules as Sinder in the shop, because I want it to remain peaceful and pleasant for everyone and I think that fits the place!

3 Likes

I’m visiting with Hazel and Volca and we really like it. The little riddle to enter is wonderful.

Including instructions is nice! It helps fill in some gaps we have. We should probably fill those gaps in documentation, but for now…

“Not too many teleports” is one design I kind of like since it encourages exploration and emergent paths. But one up in the Hills wouldn’t hurt, I think.

Ohhh, I understand and agree. Overall I’m a bit too worried about making something useful first, and nice second, actually!

I’m not against linking this place elsewhere if the mods prefer! If the design philosophy behind the wilderness itself is being less accessible then its only fair to respect it!

At any rate Snow seemed to like the tea shop as well and I agree the theme could maybe fit Do’nezo better instead, but there’s already a Hostel there and I think a second teleport a room away would be very redundant…

I personally don’t mind it as part of the Hills, to be clear. But I’m less buildery. :slight_smile:

I got back in and tweaked some texts for clarity, I just found out how to format yellow text! Its perfect to highlight keywords and commands, I think it makes it easier for people to understand what can be used as commands!

I also changed the entrance riddle. Turns out some people had a hard time figuring it out and I actually wanted a funnier and simpler challenge for new people!

New riddle is:

You have three stoves: a gas stove, a wood stove, and a coal stove, but only one match. Which should you light first?

1 Like

It’s a cute, nice little place! I like it!

A couple thoughts:

I felt like the description of the room with the riddle was a bit sparse in terms of the physical space. Where was the sphinx? Was the shop visible behind it, or only accessible via magic? That might have been intentional, to keep people focused on the riddle part of things, and if so I can definitely respect that choice, but it was notable to me.

If you’re concerned about people finding the riddle too hard, you might try putting ‘fake’ exits (as in, ones that return the person to the room where they started) on some of the obvious wrong answers. Even just confirming to someone that they figured out how to guess and didn’t typo might help prevent frustration!

As for location… personally, the idea of a magical tea shop somehow existing out in the wilds away from everything seems fun!

1 Like

Fake exits? Ohhh I could use these to provide hints I guess! This riddle has some particularly obvious wrong answers I could make that work actually! I love the idea!

I guess I was a bit laconic on the entrance description, I wanted to give more focus on the player interacting with the challenge rather than the area description, but that makes a lot of sense! I’ll add some descriptions!

I just added your suggestions! I even got inspired to suggest a new “fake exit” to sneak around the sphinx using the same mechanic! Thank you so much!

I took a look through here and I really liked it! I can hook you up on the Deep Forest path right before the Wilderness if you’d like. n_n Or were you specifically looking to connect to the Azurite Lake? I think that is owned by a player so you would probably need to open a request to link in their area. You’re also welcome to look around the Forest and see if there’s a place you’d prefer, or suggest a branch. You’re also welcome to link to the Deep Forest for the time being if you wanted to be as close as possible to the Azurite Lake, and then if you get a request approval from the owner, you can always change it. n_n

Aww thankee~

I was originally thinking about linking it directly to the Wilderness Hills room or the Mountain Range, because I think the Wilderness area need a public teleport point!

I really like the forest and its secrets as well but I kinda think there’s a lot going on in there already (lots and lots of great places along the way), I feel other places need a bit of love too~

But I’d love to make it public anyway! I think the deep forest would look just great to hide it in! Can you help me link it?

Just got it linked in a new section of the forest with Raeth! Thank you so much for the help!

The tea house is now open to all who can solve the entrance riddle~

2 Likes