[Linked] A Labyrinth Maze

The sphinx is widening her riddle game into labyrinths?! The minotaur union will be angry. But they’re always angry.

2 Likes

You could say we’re running a collab! Its fun~

3 Likes

The thread is three weeks old, yay! Is it yay, though?

I’d really love some indication from the builders on if this kind of content is welcome. Someone? Something? It can stay private but it sure gets boring if the users can’t discover the puzzles and I need to take them there. And I really don’t feel good about linking it to my part of the forest without any builders’ feedback at all.

1 Like

So, I think the actual Labyrinth here got a bit lost behind the conversation about quota. Which is fitting, I suppose, but… sorry about that!

I also suspect part of why you haven’t heard from buildstaff is because… well, the labyrinth nature means there’s a lot of exits to check, and a lot of potential for missing things, and so - even though it’s a fun concept - it’s actually rather hard to give it a once-over and be sure of getting everything.

1 Like

I’m open to sharing the map with the builders! And now that I have a tool to set up the exits you don’t need to even check them individually; the tool just wires all the messages up (not that I didn’t check them before, ugh. That was painful)

1 Like

Where are we thinking about putting this build?

The idea of a hedge maze. I’m trying to consider what types of situations we would normally see something like this, and most of them involve being on the grounds of some old mansion/estate. Hence my initial pause instead just any ol’ place because I can’t think of a place where this sort of build… unless we were going to use a larger area in this labyrinth this as some form of community garden or something possibly?

Also a consideration: What kind of roleplay are we wanting to encourage in this location? Depending on the answer, would-be locations could change accordingly.

1 Like

I was initially thinking about the forest edge, lore wise the labyrinth is pretty much self contained (I added a bunching lore on it in the library too). However it so happens that I’ve been planning a proper château, winery at at. If you feel like it needs to be attached to a mansion, I just got a mansion to sell you!

As for the specific roleplay I want to encourage exploration. My test subjects reported that solving the labyrinth “is fun, especially in a group.” There are a few mini quests to motivate one to fully explore it and there are numerous references to secret locations around Sinder and surroundings. Effectively the labyrinth is a storytelling device that introduces one to deeper lore of Sinder.

2 Likes

“Is the game fun?” is the one angle I’m standing aside from with a project like this being placed specifically in Sinder. If it was anywhere else, we could just do whatever and not worry about it, but we definitely want to have builds make some sort of sense for where they’re placed at least in the main town. (unless I’m the only builder who feels this way - if I’m an outlier then we can just throw anything anywhere and no worries.)

My main angle is considering what goes into a hedge maze existing - and for a well maintained hedge maze, a caretaker is certainly one of those things… otherwise it would just be an overgrown mess, right? As such, having a definite plan for why the hedge maze exists and what its a part of seems important location-wise.

If it’s a community project, fine. If it’s part of the estate which was remodeled into a school, fine. If it’s part of a winery/chateau, cool, (but watch out the nimbats are coming for ya.) But we need a definite plan so we know where to plop the building down because it could go deeper or further away from town according to how its being used/kept.

As an aside, the anti-spam measure makes the labyrinth difficult to play after a while because it starts blocking your inputs until you take a pretty long break to cool the threshold off.

2 Likes

We largely discussed this IC but for posteriority:

The plan is to keep this north from the town (so north from the stables, next to the forest). Although I sure hope the expience is fun and woth the people’s time.

There is a lore book in the library that explains the maze’s existence, why it’s self sufficient and often devoid of people. That said, I plan to keep adding lil’ thingies to it over time (just like you see little lore additions happening in the clock tower).

I am fine integrating it in the château area lore-wise but it’d work just as fine standalone. That said, the château and the winery need more work (and I really need to clear them with @Accipiter first). I am absolutely fine with it being a community project but I want to ask for all the lore changes to come though me so they are adjusted as expected, i.e. I am open to further little lore mixups between the labyrinth and other areas (I hope to add the post office’s memento next).

Yeah, that is an issue, innit? It’s not too bad if you’re exploring at a leisury pace, though but clearly the current size is the maximum of what can be supported.

1 Like

To sum up the recent discussion happening in Wolfery:

• Maximus advised I needed transit rooms to hook everything up.
  • I added two: #cb9a7869gbrucpsv1990 is the Riverwalk that connects Sinder to the Chateau northside and itself connects to #cb9acq69gbrucpsv1f2g (the eerie trail) on the west; the eerie trail connects to the labyrinth and the orchards to create a north-east travel loop around the town
  • I linked up the trail with the orchards (thanks Widget!) and Tasho provided a thorough analysis on oddly named exits

What’s left:

• link up Riverwalk with North Westside Road (to and fro)
  • create subareas for riverwalk and the eeriee trail (I’m not convinced we need areas for single rooms and I’d think they can just be in the sinder/forest areas respectively, but Raeth pointed out the benefits of having the subareas
  • throw a proper party at the chateau becaue that’s 87 rooms I’ve authored and I’m a bit exhuasted. I still need to draw the missing cover arts for the labyrinth (and now the chateu, geezies).
2 Likes

I got through the labyrinth and I have to say, It was definitely worth it! Navigating through the maze was a bit challenging at first but once I started really thinking about my choices, it became quite fun to map out! It was neat to see the various little things around the maze, like birds and mice! I would say my one issue with the place was how moving too fast would force you to stop occasionally. Other than that, I had a great time!

3 Likes