Limit on tags

I saw someone yesterday - and I forget who, unfortunately - who noted that interested parties should check her F-list because Wolfery wouldn’t allow more than 50 tags.

I’ve actually been wondering a question that’s a tangent on this observation:

Should Wolfery adopt some “best practice” guidance on tags’ use? If I see that a character has a “tag-wall” with dozens of little gray bricks in their About section, I will read exactly zero of them, and I feel quite sure I’m not alone.

The help text for tags reads “Tags are out of character info that gives a quick view of a character, and what kind of roleplay they are interested in.” It’s not really a quick view if it slams the onlooker with more boxes than a tax form!

Could we officially suggest, somewhere, just picking a handful of tags that most describes what your character is into (and not into), rather than an utterly exhaustive list of everything they might possibly enjoy? As Windchaser notes, one can always link out to F-list if one wishes to keep something like that handy.

4 Likes

This just inspired me to trim my tags a touch. There’s no reason for me to specify male/female/fellatio/cunnilingus when oral + pansexual will do. Also got rid of a few of the ones that can easily be implied or inferred, and added a few that are more informational and specific.

I’ve also moved one that is of greater importance into a dropdown in my About section, where I can give it more space for the explanation it deserves.

2 Likes

I agree with Halstrick regarding these! I see no harm in linking your f-list for an in-depth look into what you like to do when it becomes relevant in your interactions with someone! Having a link is definitely handy.

I think it makes sense that “less is more” regarding the tags because they’re more of a convenience on how to interact with your character and what to expect them instead of being in depth about their specific preferences.

Maybe point out that its recommended to keep tags at around 5-10 or some other number, explaining that “less tags makes it easier for other players to know how to approach you” or something?

1 Like

I agree with this discussion.

While allowing a lot of tags is not a problem in itself, we should in the (coming) Wolfery Character Creation guide make some clear recommendation on limiting the number of tags.

And linking to the F-List profile is perfect for those who want to give that detailed view! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I definitely think that it’s not a bad thing (and is quite common really) for exhaustive interest lists to point to Flist. A bit of cross promotion by individual users who like that site as well isn’t a terrible thing. ^.^ Pretty common most places I roleplay really.

Probably easier to stick to tags that describe entire sections of interests if you have that many individual interests. Seems time to condense at that rate rather than try to copy/paste the entire Flist tag system into Wolfery. :smiley:

F-List: It’s the Furry Code 3.0, now with IRC attached!