Input history browsing: Apple/Safari keyboard shurtcuts not functioning? [SOLVED?]

Control+Up/Down Arrow to cycle input buffer history seems to not work on Mac (or at least whatever configuration one specific user is reporting the issue - hopefully they’ll come to the forums to further detail this issue.)

Possibly, the command is simply assigned as something different for Mac?

There also doesn’t seem to be a readily accessible way to buffer history browse while on mobile (but this is likely a much lower priority concern and maybe harder to design for)

I would suggest Ctrl-P and Ctrl-N as aliases for control-up and control-down. They have a long history as prev/next recall.

1 Like

I’m guessing those don’t function as new tab and print on mac then? Chrome totally uses those on windows at least.

Default binding for mission control eats ctrl up/down/left/right. ctrl-p and ctrl-n are standard buffer scrolling keys for terminal / some ssh clients / atlantis / some other mud clients.

No, those are Command-P and Command-N. In general, Macs use command where Windows uses control.

Welcome to the forum, @Artica!

@Jagrabbit and @Windchaser, as far as Ctrl + N goes, that one seems not to work on Chrome/Windows. But actually, Ctrl + P did work.

Anyway. I will add shortcuts for Cmd + Up, Cmd + Down, Ctrl + P, Ctrl + N, Cmd + P and Cmd + N.
Then it is up to the browser, what shortcuts will work or not.

/Accipiter

Fixed in Release v1.2.0 - Idle indicators and command formatting

I’m glad to learn that this feature exists! Command-up/down works great for me on Safari, as of today.

May I suggest also mapping this to plain-old up-arrow/down-arrow, when one’s cursor is focused in the text input? Quite in the mode of a typical Unix-style CLI, that it. I believe that this would be much more discoverable to new players. (It’s certainly what I tried first, and felt out of options when it didn’t do anything!)

There is a slight problem to this suggestion: The software supports multi-line poses with line breaks, and up/down is very useful for editing.

Perhaps a personality checkbox or something like some muck clients do where it’s editing until it’s the top or bottom line, then it’s change message history.

Oh boy, that sounds like more trouble than it’s worth, and not worth cluttering the UI for! Consider it a lowest-priority suggestion, then. I’m happy that input-recall exists at all!

It would surely help to know this feature is there; it’s not really obvious.

If anything, it’d be great to have an option to see the outgoing commands (correct or not) in the main history buffer. That way one could scroll up and copy paste something easily.

1 Like

Among Wolfery features, command-recall feels like it has the highest ratio between usefulness and discoverability!

I almost want to suggest appending (Use ctrl/cmd-up-arrow to recall and edit your last command) to error responses after potentially lengthy text inputs (e.g. “There is no character named…” after misfiring a long DM).

It is up there with tab completion.

Can’t disagree!

But while tab-completion feels like a “power user” feature that you can get by not knowing about for a while, command-recall is so useful for mitigating the pain of typing in a long message, hitting enter, and then being told “Nah” by the system, with no obvious way to get all those words back.

I can guarantee you that, in Wolfery’s short life-so-far, this situation’s hit players with no knowledge of command-recall countless times!

Man, I keep thinking of more ways to try to make this less painful. Tacking more text onto the error is the laziest solution (which is why I, an ex-engineer, like it). There’s also keeping the bad input in the text box in the event of an editable error? Maybe?

Another option that kind of wraps these up together is to add interactivity to the error message. You could put a button for ‘Try again?’ at the end of the error, which - when clicked - puts the input that caused this error back in the text box. (Or tells the user how the scrollback keys work! Or does both!)

I feel like a small button could take up less space and be less exasperating to a user who knows what to do and just typoed, while still allowing discoverability for new users.

I like this idea. It would not take much space, but should help.

I am also considering adding UI buttons on the console to help scroll up and down in history, as that should also hint on the existence of a command history.