In Room list bug

We’ve got two Talons here. A character that deleted while in the room who is still listed. When I scrolled upon entering the room, one of the lines went behind the other (I think, can’t confirm that one). Probably just needs a once-over to fix.

With this you can see that Munch the bunny is in there twice. Other people reported seeing me twice. And I think people think one of me is enough, sadly.

If I click on Shane there (greyed out) I get a ‘not found in room’ error.

I -suspect- this has something to do with user deletion in room.

Edit: Additional symptom is -not- seeing other characters. For example Avery and Five were in ther e. I couldn’t see, tab complete them or whisper to them.

More edit: Five left and came back and it seemed to fix the problem for me seeing him. Me moving around didn’t help. I wonder if there’s some kind of room contents index that gets messed up.

Huh?

We have one of those issues again?

Aha! Thanks @Talon and @Finis :grin:! You are both correct. The bug was triggered by the character delete.

The bug lies in the roomchars handler not sending a remove event when someone gets deleted. This then caused all the subsequent inconsistencies in that list.

This issue also occurs on the deletion of exits (hopefully not area list for rooms?)
Was checking out Myk’kailo’s builds and he bumped into the issue while restructuring some things.

The issue with the exits can however be worked around by reordering the remaining exits to rebuild that particular list in the room view panel. We don’t have an equivalent workaround for the player list however. Whatever is going on, it sounds like the panel for the exit or player more or less doesn’t know what to do and just starts trying to inherit the ID of something nearby until it hits the bottom and then it freezes its existence as that entity.

It sounds like you have this bug more or less ID’d at least then though and we can expect and update to fix this one before too long?

Exits too? Good to know. If I made the mistake with the In Room list, it is not farfetched I’ve done the same mistake in other places too. Thanks @Jagrabbit!

But the behavior comes from how Resgate and the RES protocol works, where adds/removes from lists are based on index rather than item ID. I could go into detail, but would bore your ears off you! :sweat_smile:

This is happening again in Station Park, FYI.

Yeah, I made a staff thread on it and brought it to Acci’s attention in mail. Appreciated, however!

As a workaround until there is a real fix, perhaps the process for deleting a character should teleport them to an empty room first?

Yawn … Okay okay. I am awake. I will come and apply the real fix.