[Idea] Travel paths

We use the keyword paths like go north, east, east, north, library around Sinder, and I think it’d be generally helpful to allow people to copy and paste that as a command and travel the pre-defined route. The way I see it, the go command should be extended to support several keywords separated by a comma (which is illegal in a keyword otherwise). upon submitting such a command, the character should travel one exit at a time with sufficient delays to not trigger the rate limit. For every room passed, if the next expected exit isn’t available, the navigation stops.

TL;DR:

go north, east, east, north, library is equivalent to go north, go east, go east, go north, go library.

It’d also be nice to support repeating directions with something like exit name * times:

go north, east * 2, north, library.

But muh teleports

Public teleports need to be discovered first, and this way people could share navigation inscructions between each other. And, thanks to the delay, the scenerey isn’t instantly skipped. It incentivises further exploration.

2 Likes

The idea is great, Shin!

I have taken a first step to allow this, by tightening up the characters allowed for exit keywords.

How quick do we want them to travel?

If I implement it as a server-side feature, then I can make sure you are not prevented by the flood detection (“You are too active. Wait 2 seconds and try again.”).

If I implement it on the client (which is a simpler implementation), then we need to handle flood errors. Since the cost of using an exit is 5 seconds, a 5 second pause between each move would be the “safest”. But we can also implement it to try quicker, but fall back to 5 seconds in case the flood error is triggered.

1 Like

We want them to have time to react to the surroundings but not necessarily read the room description in full, I think.

1 Like

I think, as long as there is a visual indication that you’re still travelling, a five second delay is totally reasonable. That’s enough to take the grasp of the surroundings and move on, or stop the navigation if there’s something interesting.

1 Like

A lot of muck clients have ‘autowalk’ system macros. I see this as a client side feature? There are already limits to how fast you can walk, isn’t there? Tend to run into those doing things like the crane game at the arcade. I don’t see a problem with autowalk being fast as possible, people walk that fast clicking through anyway.

1 Like