How to contribute to the world

As I’ve said in other posts, creating enticing areas to play in is not my strength. I welcome any of you to help me out.

Make sure not to use copyright protected text or art without permission.

Improve existing areas

You are welcome to help improve any public room or area.

Improvements may be things like:

• correct description spelling or grammar
  • improve names, descriptions, or exit messages
  • add room images
  • update room images (make sure you have the artist’s permission if you modify an image)
  • add a new room (also see below section: Contribute with new areas)

For simple things, filter the Awake list for any available builder to help you out.
For larger changes, post your suggestions here in the Realm & Areas forum category to allow others to have an opinion. An admin or builder will then implement it if the forum consensus leans towards it being a good improvement.

Contribute with new areas

To contribute, do the following:

1. Post your idea in a new topic under the Realm & Areas forum category, to allow others to contribute with suggestions and feedback.
  2. Create the area with rooms and exits. For in game instructions, type: help build
  3. Optionally, set the entry room to allow inbound teleportation: set room isteleport = yes
  4. Check the world map for a suitable spot. Optionally, download and update the world map, and post the updated image under your forum topic.
  5. Request to link the entry room to the rest of the world. See: help request exit

Some criteria for the request to be accepted:

• The area is to be considered public.
  • The rooms and exits should have names, descriptions, and proper exit messages. Images are optional.
  • Any room allowed to be set as home should also be set as dark.
  • Agree that admins and builders may update room/exit names, descriptions, images, and messages to improve the overall quality.
  • Agree that others may suggest updates to the area (see above section: Improve existing areas).

Once your exit request is accepted, the destination owner will create a similar exit in the opposite direction, effectively linking your new area to the rest of the world. Unless the destination owner is an admin or builder, you will have to accept their counter request as well.

At the moment, it is only the creator/owner of the destination room that can accept a request. Later, this will be extended to allow groups of players to be in charge of areas. In time, suggesting updates to an area will also be implemented as a crowd sourced voting system within the game.

Thanks for your help building the world!

Best regards,
Accipiter

5 Likes

I’ve proofread over a hundred pages for someone’s story (and it merited extensive edits, too), so I’d love to help out on vanquishing the typo demons. I was wondering what to do if I have a lot of little typos in different areas to report, since I imagine it would be unwieldy to start lot of different threads.

1 Like

Great! Post them all in a single new topic here in Realm & Areas category, and I’ll run around (or have one of the builders run around) to correct them.

Spelling is not my thing, so I surely appreciate it! :smiley:

/Accipiter

1 Like

Do you accept the capitalisaton issues too? I noticed that there’s no uniformity in the various room names when it comes to that.

1 Like

Sure! Maybe it is worth its own forum thread, to discuss what we want to be the standard, so that we can get some uniformity. Discussing things like:

• Naming and capitalization convention for areas, rooms, exits
  • Naming of exit keywords (should it be to east or just east? I’ve seen both)
  • Exit order conventions
  • etc.

I like uniformity! I just fail at it sometimes :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Liking uniformity but failing at it. Who’s a good programmer, youuuuu arrrrre! rubs behind ears

7 Likes

Hey all. I know I’ve said this IC a few times, but where the heck do I put my farmhouse? I don’t care if people wander through it.

1 Like

This, among other things and people, helped me, I do hope it helps others.

2 Likes

Per our discussion, you’re all linked up and set! n_n

1 Like

What is your opinion of rooms being refreshed? Do you have preferences on description sizes?

I can certainly help but I can get carried away sometimes. Maybe a TL;DR section for a room if the description is large? What are your thoughts on this?

1 Like