[Linked] Grand Library of Sinder

Entry room id: #cao76du9gbrmb43ao9fg.

This location wraps up the little story linking together the clock tower, the labyrinth, and the library. It has a couple (hopefully) easily-discoverable side trails and a potential for further expansion: the ground floor shop, the roof, and the archives.

I think it’d look nice placed somewhere next to the post office, maybe across the street?

2 Likes

I allowed myself some lee-way in describing the rift but I added a couple books here and there to hopefully elaborate more on the history of Sinder’s creation and the mysterious issue of trains coming to platform one.

Practically, we’d need a look book or something. While the room descriptions can house some details it doesn’t feel fun to have several books stacked like that.

The main hall would be a specific rules area for no-talking rp (is quiet does affect the pose too, eh.)

Cleaned up the extra exits that don’t make sense right now to make the layout simpler.

Took a look today. I’d encourage more builders to come take a look.
:white_check_mark: back routing, lore, theme, accessible hints for hidden rooms
:no_entry: about area/area rules need set.

Seems like a puppet may be needed for this location.

Thanks for your review!

Updated the area rules. Still not quite sure how to create the puppet so left the librarian’s desk unoccupied for now.

Actually thinking about that – I don’t really want a librarian puppet; I want a librarian chat bot of sorts: I guess it’d have to work a bit like the morrowind dialogue system.

What I have in mind is adding several books categories and then you can request the book from them. Of course there wont be the whole books, just exerpts similar to what currently is in the library rooms. This way it’d be easier to add up to the world’s lore and branch into the different worldbuilding topics.

We’ll need to set that up with accipiter, as well as describe and define the librarian npc.

We now have a librarian bot that provides extra books to read!

Again, I allowed myself some leeway on the lore becasue the official lore doesn’t quite elaborate on some things in good enough detail so I’d appreciate feedback on the books’ contents.

I like this! It was cool! Gave some context to how we all got to Sinder, and the rooms had good descriptions. There’s also a bot that lends whispers the book you wanna read! I think this is really cool and hope it’s added to Sinder!

… that part isn’t yet approved by the boss wolf, though. Glad you liked it, otherwise.

Yeah, sorry for not having been around.
RL has swamped me, and I am trying to get myself above the surface.
I’ll be around eventually to check it out! :slight_smile:

One technique I sometimes like for giving in-world explanations when you still want to leave things open is to actually have a couple of conflicting viewpoints. So, researcher SmartWolf writes, “the Rift is a random circumstance!” and researcher CleverFox writes, “the Rift is a sentient godlike entity!” Maybe they even argue a bit, like scholars sometimes do, and call each other wrong in their texts. “…while CleverFox claims there is a reason for us to be here, I consider this mere childish fantasy that has no place is serious scientific endeavor…”

It can help make it clear what’s definitely true, because they agree on it - there’s a Rift! It gathers people! - while leaving some things more open to interpretation or further IC investigation and theorizing.

Of course… this also means more work in terms of creating those books and those personas of various authors. Maybe it’s something you could do via roleplaying, or just by asking some other people to write their own book-snippets and collecting them together?

1 Like

That’s actually how some of the library books address same topics! And yeah, I absolutely plan on crowd-sourcing more books in there.

holds up a protest sign that says “RP the controversy!”

2 Likes

adds the controversial volume of the lusty argonian maid to the list of the available books, along with the Ultimate Bathing Guide of the Rift.

Isnt across the street where the school is supposed to be? Im not complaining but just saying if theyre still trying to make the school You could always have an exit to the campus grounds after its open!

When I initially made this I din’t know there was a school project ongoing. That said; I don’t quite like the idea of a more tame area as that limits the book topics I wanted to cover.

The School is currently in active development, which means that place is indeed not possible.
If you (Shinyuu) want to link it near the post office the place next to it is still free.
(Hurray, neighbours!)

I’m okei with the “next to the post office” placement too – I wanted to make some use of the river.

So, what’d be my next steps to get this in place? I’d like to open some public discussion on what kind of books should be in there and see if anyone else would want to contrubute – but that doesn’t really work in a private setting.

Also, we got some volunteers for the staff (apart from the librarian, of course).

Yay! Thanks everyone for their feedback and help!