Gif or webp image format support for avatar/images?

I’ve been playing with sprite-making a bit - doing some animations and such recently. While I can successfully load the file into the thumbnail preview, it won’t allow me to finalize the save since it doesn’t recognize the format.

Any chance we could get some webp or gif format support so I can upload little things? Perhaps a file size or resolution restriction to make sure uploaded files don’t get out of hand if that’s a concern while making sure nothing breaks the animation functionality by resaving it into non-optimal formats?

Sorry for slow reply. But neat animation, @Jagrabbit! :smiley:

Yes, I can see the lure in animated images. Done right, it can really add to immersion.

Two things though:

1. Cropping & resizing of animations - for the purpose of the thumbnails and such. This can be done, of course. But since I am currently using my “own” embedded crop and resize code instead of some fancy third party thing like ImageMagick, it would need to rewritten to use a third party tool instead.

2. Attention and distraction - If we get a lot of animated stuff, will it distract too much? Just like I don’t really like emojis in RP, as it sort of makes it more like a chat, and less like a story. Mm. I don’t know. Maybe limit animations to only be shown in the full sized image when looking at someone?

One thought, would there be a way to only have icons animate on hover? Stay on either the first keyframe (easier to implement, requires more work on the user) or a keyframe selectable at upload (harder to implement, more flexibility for borrowed or commissioned art).

1 Like