[Feature] Sub-areas

I think areas are great for organizing spaces, but for larger spaces they can get a bit crowded in the area list, causing many build owners to utilize sub-areas to trim things down and further organize groups of similar rooms in. One issue with that is in the sub area, the area map and list will default to that of the sub-area, and the parent area can’t see any of the specific rooms of the sub-area.

My proposal is to create “area categories” or “area types,” with the main ones being default and sub-area. A default area is the same as normal, but a sub-area would strip the features of an area and relegate them to the parent area’s information, things like the area description, map, and rules would show as if in the parent area, and the list of rooms would show the same way, signifying the child rooms with an indent underneath the area in the list, something like this mock-up:

The containing area in the list would be collapsible, and probably default to collapsed unless the player is in the sub-area. I don’t know how feasible sub-sub-areas would work from a visual perspective, but ideally it would be able to chain at least a few layers deep, but probably have some sort of sanity limit.

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments? Jokes?

6 Likes

Jokes?

Where do doms go to search for new people? To subareas!

In all seriousness, I like this idea. It makes navigation easier.

2 Likes

I love this idea, would . make travel easier.

2 Likes

This would be a very good addition. Using a combination of proper subareas and this would really make maps more meaningful to navigate.

2 Likes

That is indeed a good idea.

So, if I understand your example correct:

• Upper Floors is a child area of Cinnabar Prism Apartments
  • Upper Floors is set as sub-area
  • Cinnabar Prism Apts XXX Floor are rooms belonging to the area Upper Floors.

In the example above, I assume we would also wish to see which floor that one character is located on? Eg. we should also have 1 on Cinnabar Prism Apts 2nd Floor, if that is where they are located.

To prevent recursion, I would also wish to limit it so that a sub-area may not be a parent area at the same time. That is, Upper Floors cannot have child areas - only rooms. But I just noticed you said you wanted to chain a few levels deep. Mmm… We can discuss that :grin:

Have I understood it correctly?

1 Like

Yeah, that sums it up pretty well.

And I had just just thrown something together quickly, yeah, the 1 would be down on the room the person is actually in, with the parent area probably just having an arrow signifying whether it’s collapsed or not.

2 Likes