Feature: Saving chat to file [SOLVED]

I think a neat function would be to allow the user to save or log the chat for that session; everything in the text area could be saved to a text file or a styled HTML file at a click of a button. :slight_smile:

Yes!

We want this. :smiley:

What should the GUI be like? I can imagine a log-icon button in chat log on the session start entry:

This button would in itself open a dialog window where you later can select export format (eg. HTML, Plaintext). But for a first version, maybe we’ll just stick with HTML.

And a button for Export.

The export would then be from that timestamp and forward, and would include:

• Any communication (say, pose, whisper, message, ooc, describe)
  • Leave/arrive/travel events
  • Room names on travel.

The log would exclude things like:

• Errors (eg. from mistyped commands)
  • Help topics
  • Additional session start entries
  • Info text from successful commands (like when setting your character from command line)

Exported filename would be <Character Name>_<Date:YYYY-MM-DD>_<Time:HHmm>.html. Eg.:

Accipiter_2021-02-15_1007.html

Exported HTML should be formatted to appear similar to the client chat.

How does that sound?

Best regards,
Accipiter

1 Like

This feature is now implemented:

Try it out and see if it works as expected!

Best regards,
Accipiter

1 Like

Acci, would it be possible to get the client to remember when the chat log was last exported? With so many new players it is getting difficult to scroll back and find the time when I last saved the chat log. If the client could remember, maybe instead of just popping up the save window right away it could offer two choices first: ‘Start export from this point’ and ‘Start export from last export point’. (Just examples, there may be better ways to word this.) Then save that time as the export date for the next time and show the save window.

1 Like