[Feature] Reciprocal exit support in `request exit`

Please make it possible to request an exit that includes the creation of a reciprocal exit. At present, the system makes it easy to request an exit from one player’s area to another, but there is no support for creating the exit from the originating area to the new area. This has to be done manually, and requires fetching the room ID of the new area.
This can be made easier by supporting reciprocal exits:
request exit [;exit aliases][/<exit name;exit aliases>]=<#roomid> would be an example, where the first exit is the originating exit from the new area, and the second exit name is the reciprocal link.
On approving the request, the new exit would be created, and perhaps even ownership of the exit could be given to the neighbouring area’s owner so they can set the enter/leave messages themselves.

1 Like

Wholeheartedly agreed.

But I don’t think exits have owners here the same way they do in muck systems like Taps. They seem to be only directly related to the room they’re in, with the owner (or a builder) able to control all exits from a room regardless of who made them.

I’d say a set of request set exit would also be helpful. Sometimes I need to chase down individual room owners to fix minor typos and it’d be much easier if they saw the requests in that lil’ bell menu.

I also totally agree! Someone should get right on that one! :sweat_smile:

But I do indeed agree, and have felt this need from early on.

My plan is actually to do a total revamp of the request system.
I imagine being able to bundle a bunch of requests into a set. These requests may be things like:

• creating exit to non-owned room
  • setting room attributes of non-owned rooms.
  • setting area to a non-owned area
  • setting area attributes of non-owned area
  • etc.

And this request bundle may then be submitted for approval. And for it to be implemented, it must be approved by every owner affected by any of the individual requests in the bundle.

Optionally, it may also be possible for affected owners to modify any of the individual requests before approving. In such a case, the whole bundle needs to be reapproved by everyone else again, including the initial request submitter.

My main issue with these ideas is how to make a good GUI and/or command interface for it!

Exits are actually not separately owned. An exit is linked to its room, and always “owned” by the character that owns the room. So, “exit ownership” would automatically be given to the own owning the room.

create request $NAME

followed by

update request $NAME: add set room name = ...

submit request.

would be one option. Although editing the subrequests is better done via UI or otherwise it smells of iptables.