Feature Idea: Status - Template/Saved/Recent

Was interacting with VRChat and recently, I’ve taken notice of a feature for setting status on there which includes a recent statuses list

Additionally, when you send invite requests on VRC, there is a list of available prefab messages you can include with that request and you can edit all of those prefabs.

The idea:
I’m wondering, can we provide a saved, limited server-fetchable list of preferred go-to pre-filled status which people can access rapidly? If not customizable/defined templates (this provides some form of standardization/ideas), can we at least provide a user’s 10 most recent statuses or something?

Ideas on where/how to access:
I’m figuring the functionality could be readily tied into a pop-up interaction that appears via a menu which appears when you click on the character name in the input window while it is already selected.

Design-wise, I think this would open the door for other appropriate commands could be offered up with this pop-open on click/tap access if the infrastructure for this UI element were designed correctly with some thought to the future.

3 Likes

While this dosen’t seem like a bad idea, it would probably only save a person about 5 seconds over typing it manually. It would probably be a pain to code.
One way of adding this in a more simple way would to be list statuses and for it to give a list of your recent statuses that can get copied to clipboard on click. Or runs some js to set it automatically.

We are using CodeMirror 6 for the input console, which is mainly designed to be used for online code editors and similar. I am pretty sure a similar “popup” feature, for auto completion, already exists as an extension for CodeMirror.

So, by utilizing that, it is surely doable.

And yes, I could see it as a nice and convenient feature. Though, it might not be a very high priority one. But I’ll add it to the backlog!

The interface stuff I use on VRC (not really what I’m expecting we’ll do here) kinda handles it by displaying all recently used statuses. Meanwhile, the request invite feature has some template messages you can pre-establish/edit and select to use each time you request an invite.

If we can find some happy medium between these, we might be able to standardize some ideas for people while still letting them modify things however they wish if they want to go full custom.