[Feature] Expanding About Area

Having an About for areas is a great feature and I love it! …in fact, I love it so much that I’d like it to be even better.

The About for Cascade Island is currently very near the size limit. (In fact, it was slightly too long, but we noticed the end was getting cut off and edited to fix that.) That’s okay for now - I got in everything I really needed - but I’d love to be able to expand the Lore section and add more info about the area’s theme and membership as it develops.

That said, I don’t really think having an even longer About is the best fix. For one thing, it’s already really long if you’re reading it via the ‘about area’ command!

So, what I’d like to see is some way to set multiple about fields for an area. They could be shown as expandable sections in the sidebar version, and also accessed by a command like ‘about area rules’. The current ‘about area’ could list a ‘summary’ - which might be enough for some areas, if they’re not as long-winded as me - and also list any other About fields it’s possible to read.

I think it’d make sense to have a few suggested sections - like ‘theme’, ‘rules’, or whatever else it seems most areas should have - but I’d certainly appreciate also being able to set my own for things only relevant to some areas.

Again, having about is great! I appreciate it existing. I just… I really like writing lore. >.>

1 Like

In definitely curious to explore what we can do in regards to technical flexibility and limitation.
I feel like we might need a couple of extra fields specifically for Theme/Lore and Rules information.

If I understand you correctly, you mean sections at the same “level” as About, like this:

area_about_and_rules

And just like the About section gets removed if empty, we would remove any of the other sections if empty.

Yes, I see the benefits of this. It would make it easier for Area owners to clearly state the rules, and under help rules, we can refer to about area rules (or maybe just area rules?), without the player having to read through a lot of lore to find the rules.

Aaaand it would be quite easy to implement too :grin:

1 Like

yeah, probably area rules and arules alias should be attached to pulling up the area specific rules.

conduct and rules however should probably attached to realm rules.

Yes, exactly! :smiley: