[Feature] Enabling/disabling exits

As some might have noticed, has my post office a certain password protected door to gate traffic to my private chambers a bit.

I do however plan in the future to host parties up there, and for that the password door should get replaced by a public door. But that would require deleting the already present exit, as you can’t change to which room that exit leads.

Now to my request, that will benefit others as well, who might want to temporarily disable exits, if they for example lead to a seasonal room or are a temporary rift.

Let us stay at my locked door issue. I would like to have the option to grey out exits in the according edit window disabling them without deleting them. In my case I would then disable the password door and the secret pathway and enable a public door to grant unhindered access.

As of now that is only possible with fully deleting and recreating exits.

1 Like

I agree that there’s a use-case here, but I wonder: Could you add a public door when you want one, and leave the private one intact? Will the system prevent you from having two doors that run in parallel?

@Riverrynn It wouldn’t, but then there is the aesthetic issue, that there are then two exits visible, who seemingly lead to the same room.
A cosmetic issue I would like to address here.

Also that would require deleting the second exit afterwards forcing you to rebuild it every time you open borders.

(And yes, you can ‚hide away‘ exits by toggling them to secret exits, which is a temporary solution, but one that requires additional keyword management and such (huh…this is actually not a bad solution))

I would approach this for the time being with ‘Hide’ and ‘Change door triggers’ so people aren’t likely to accidentally access it.

Ah, somehow I thought the “password” exit was a hidden exit, which would have resolved the cosmetic issue. There’s definitely a valid feature request here, too - I just want to make sure you’re also able to do as much as you can with the current features!

No, it is quite simple, really.
The public password door leads into the same room, only important for the informative travel massage instructing the player

The real pathway to the manor is a secret exit tied to one specific keyword, the password I give out

The idea of disabling exits is still a good one when considering future plans.

When we can script rooms, imagine making the ferry by the docks into an actual room that goes “back and forth” to Cascade Island? In this case, the exit to the ferry would appear when the ferry arrives by the docks, and disappear when the ferry leaves.

To avoid having the script continuously delete and create new exits, something that wouldn’t be as friendly for the DB or backups, we would reuse the same exit and just toggle it between enabled and disabled.

But for now, hiding the “fake” roundabout exit and renaming the keywords, is still a workaround solution.

1 Like

One way I’ve already used to disable exits is to hide them and make their entry code contain an invalid character. While you can’t use an exit with a $ from the go command for example, it will certainly let you save an exit with one in it.

1 Like

I’m suddenly having PTSD from my many years of playing Everquest and having to catch the boat. XD Joking aside, this seems like a neat concept.

Ohh, yeah, that is a neat idea. Thank you ^^