[Feature] Dice Roller, Pretty Please?

With the number of gaming facilities open in the areas of Wolfery, I feel like it’s the perfect time to add a dice roller! I do see a similar request, but it’s almost 18 months old!

I’d prefer this dice roller to be opt-in! That is, you have to enable the ability to see the rolls, just to prevent roll spam in busy public places. Optional, but nice to have, would be to specify a length of time the ability to see rolls would be turned on. Example syntax would be something like:

roll enable=24 or
roll enable=4

thus enabling the ability to see rolls for 24 hours or 4 hours, respectively, and then the roll syntax would be:

roll 1d6 or
roll 2d10 and so forth

The ability to do modifiers, ie roll 1d6+1 would be nice, but I’d be more concerned with having just basic dice rolling set up.

7 Likes

I’d definitely like a dice roll feature - there’s been numerous occasions where I’ve wanted to be able to roll a dice or flip a coin. The previous suggestion ([Feature] Dice roller) has some more advanced suggestions that would also be cool, but even just having the basics would make me happy.

I don’t really like the idea of having to opt-in, I think everybody should be able to see dice rolls because it’s just as much as the roleplaying as say or pose - just randomly spamming the dice command without it being relevant to what’s going on in the room would just plainly be spam, and if it’s relevant you’d want to see it alongside the regular messages. Not having it enabled by default is just asking for people to not see the dice rolls and request a re-roll, especially if a re-roll could be in their advantage. If anybody’s really concerned about dice roll spam an opt-out might be a better solution.

It would probably also be good if there was some sort of way to distinguish a roll between a regular pose - so people can’t just pretend they rolled a dice and cheat. Maybe an icon or something? (fa-dice from FontAwesome)

4 Likes

@Alyx, I liked you idea with the icon. And thanks for styling suggestions!

Unfortunately, Font-Awesome 4.7, which we currently use, doesn’t have the dice. This is my current attempt:

I’ve added some pose and OOC for comparison.

I am also considering how/when/if I should add the results of each individual die as well.
@FoxLancaster-Okami suggested showing detailed results (including each die) for the one rolling.

Any feedback?

EDIT:

With details, it would look like this:

3 Likes

Definitely would help to have the detail sometimes but not necessarily all the time… (Sometimes you have a ‘reroll the smallest die’ mechanic in a game or you need to know if you got any 1’s… Plus, would be a must if one were to implement a game similar to a particular dice game where you roll 5 dice. and count the outcome :wink: ) Maybe a ‘detail’ keyword before the dice object to turn that function on?

Though we need to also determine if it is shared or private, as it can get quite spammy when lots of folks are doing it, or someone is doing lots of rolls. And sometimes you want to keep the result to yourself.

2 Likes

I have put details under a “popup pill” that you can hover/click on:

This “pill” will only be used when someone else is rolling the dice. The roller will always see the details without the pill.

As for things like fate/fudge dice, advantage/disadvantage (or discard/keep highest/lowest N), or other special rolls, I have made it so that I can add such features later on, without any breaking changes.

But for starters, you will just have xdy±c style notation.

Also, I will have a “quiet” option, to let you make private rolls only seen by yourself.

2 Likes

There is the dice emoji, ain’t there? :game_die: Believe the web code is 🎲

1 Like