[Feature] Command to clear help text

Sorry for spamming I’ll stop for now :sweat_smile:. I do have more, but I’ll save them for another time.

I think that a potentially useful command for keeping an active sessions chat log clean would be a way to clear all the help text messages in a clients chat log though a command like clear help or maybe even a UI button. I think it’d be most useful when trying to look for help while in a public area or otherwise not alone where the help text breaks up and clutters the conversation for the user, making it harder to backtrack if you missed something while potentially digging through help files.

I surely don’t mind this type of spam! :grin:

So far, I have avoided doing any modifications (animation, hiding, deleting) to the chat log. except the adding of new entries. It is kept static. Mainly because it felt like logs are suppose to static…?

But maybe there are other options too? I have considered making the help accessible through GUI; a Help button, which opens a dialog with the different categories to toggle between, and a search bar for commands. Would that be an option?

Also, you can actually clear the help from the chat log already, by reloading (F5) :wink: .
Okay, it is not really what you look for, but it works because the only saved log entries are those sent from the server, while local entries produced by commands such as help, whois, and get room id, does not. And they will therefore not be rerendered after reload.

/Accipiter

Oh yea, I guess a page reload would do what I’d want too already :sweat_smile:. That’s basically what I’d want to quickly hide anyways, anything that doesn’t get saved to the logs.

Well, it could also be done through making the help text popped into the main window have a Close widget, which removes it from the stack? That way, you could nuke any client-side presented information out of your pristine scrollback any time you choose, without needing a reload.

1 Like

That is a really good idea, @maximus
It would both address the problem, and it shouldn’t be too hard to implement either.
And, my wish to have a static chat log isn’t really based on any solid design idea anyway.

Let’s do it like that!

How about repurpose the character info pane area for the help text? That would keep it out of the main character interaction pane.

For someone who doesn’t know anything about UI stuff I seem to talk a lot…

I would love a GUI help section. I reference the commands regularly for things that I forget all the time like whether something makes text bold or not. Just yesterday I tried to use an em-dash in some prose and ended up with a comment in superscript instead. lol! So being able to open and close it quicker and easier without interrupting my chat pane would be amazing.

1 Like

I actually just tried using a clear command because my screen was absolutely chock full of help entries. Was surprised there wasn’t one. I agree with @maximus’ idea - it could even be in the existing three-dots menu.