[Feature] Add OpenGraph/Twitter embed metadata support for link previews

With the flexibility of the main display, it may be warranted to look into using URL previews to inline images and site summaries, a la Discord and modern web based IRC clients. This basically boils down to reading OpenGraph and Twitter embed tags for directions on what to display.

… and now I understand what you mean.

You want links posted in the game to be displayed with nice OG previews!
When you mentioned it in-game, I thought you wanted me to add OG tags to Wolfery.com’s own HTML, so that when you post a link to Wolfery.com in other forums, it would be previewed nicely :sweat_smile:

I feel a bit stupid :wink:

I would like for links to become less disruptive of the immersion of the role play text flow. So, I would not have support that includes any images.

Instead of getting links in the chat that looks like this:
https://forum.wolfery.com/uploads/default/original/1X/081bb65950283fda06d3dbdd9e3fa99791119c4a.jpeg

The OG support could turn it into a more discrete:

Sinder World Map | Wolfery Forum

I guess I would need to do this OG support part in the backend, right? Probably quite a bit of effort. Maybe, before implementing proper OG support, I will start by just adding simple “markdown” like support for links like this:

[Sinder World Map | Wolfery Forum](https://forum.wolfery.com/uploads/default/original/1X/081bb65950283fda06d3dbdd9e3fa99791119c4a.jpeg)

Best regards,
Accipiter

Well, sure - Having Wolfery links include OG information as well would be an added bonus. But yes, my pointer was towards having the main window be able to parse OG/twitter meta for the purpose of inlining information.

I understand that some may find inlining disruptive to immersion, but I also think that a significant amount of people would find it a dealmaker feature. UX is always subjective, so providing options is the key. Letting those who don’t want inlining turn it off, or even making it an opt-in feature is probably a good way to do it.