Character creation date

I got a request from a player about showing the character creation date when clicking on them in the Awake list.

Currently, that date is only known to the owner, since I assumed you wouldn’t want your character’s date to be on display. But, maybe I am wrong. Let’s have a poll:

Should we show character creation date?

• Yes, it is nice to see if some alt is new to Sinder
  • No, I prefer interacting with others without their presumptions based on creation date
  • Maybe, but I have concerns

0 voters

1 Like

After a bit of thought, I feel that as long as character names can be changed freely, and character profiles can be used to “switch” to completely different characters. The “creation date” would have less value and could be manipulated to misrepresent themselves or used to identify Alts.

I put “Maybe,” but I’m actually leaning more toward “no.” I think Jett makes a good point. What little information it might add is basically meaningless. If someone’s an experienced roleplayer, it’ll be clear enough without relying on creation dates.

I’m not sure this information should be treated as a state secret, but I’m not convinced it needs to be published, either. I’d like to hear what positive things this would make possible that aren’t possible any other way.

2 Likes

Perhaps what might work best is a ‘Newbie’ flag, similar to the Pioneer flag but in reverse- it only flags for a character’s first week, or first 3 hours of connected time, or similar. I don;t know how easy of an impliment that would be, though.

4 Likes

Maybe it could be something that only the character’s owner can see? That way if someone wanted to share when their character was created, they could do it on their own volition?

2 Likes

That is worth a thought. I am honestly quite interested in finding out the creation date of my characters. And be it only to celebrate arbitrary anniversaries. ^^

I for one would like to know when my characters were first created, so I can keep track of things more specifically in rp, so I agree with Elli’s idea.

Character owners already has access to their characters’ creation date. However, it is not displayed anywhere in the client. You can see the creation date by running the following code in the console of the browser’s Developer Tools (press F12 in Chrome, and click the Console tab):

app.getModule('player')
    .getChars()
    .toArray()
    .forEach(c => console.log(c.name, c.surname, new Date(c.created)));

But this info should at least already be shown under Character Settings. I’ll add that.

Though, I take it that most are against the idea of showing this date to others, so I won’t implement that at this time.

I like the sound of this, knowing somebody is new would allow people to reach out to them and see if they need help, or to approach them IC and make them feel welcome. I’ve seen a few people join and complain that nobody ever approaches them, maybe if people knew a character was new and may have not formed any connections with people yet they might be more likely to approach them. I sure would.

If such a thing does get added, it should probably be able to be toggled off, because experienced users creating a new character likely wouldn’t want to be offered help all the time.

I don’t really like the idea of showing the actual dates themselves. Outside of helping identify a new character, I think providing an actual date is meaningless and has downsides like making it easier for people to identify others’ alts. “X and Y were created minutes apart, so they must be the same player.”

I really like this newbie flag idea as well! Making it an opt-in thing like a preset tag could be nice I think~ this way people who genuinely want some help getting around can make it easy for others to notice!

2 Likes

On one hand, I can see the point that I want to know when was my character created. I couldn’t remember when I first joined Wolfery (although I KNOW it came from e621).

On the other, it can be seen as a privacy issue. Why not toggle the ability to see the character creation date?

1 Like

Mostly I want to know if I should welcome someone coming from the train station. :slight_smile:

I personally do not like this idea and like it at the same time, it would make several things easie like birthdays of characters that were born in the Rift, yet it would also be slightly confusing for some, at least I think it would be, because the character’s creation date would not reflect the player, only that character.

My conclusion, after reading all your votes and comments, regarding character creation date:

• should be made visible under Character Settings for the owner themselves
  • should NOT be visible to other players in any way (current behavior)
  • should be approximately visible to moderators and helpers (possibly builders too), so they can determine if it is a newbie or not. This will also include a rough approximation of when the player joined the realm.

And if someone wants to make their “creation date” available as part of their lore on when they arrived to Sinder, they can include this manually in their About text.

Thanks for all the input!

2 Likes

I agree that we want to avoid that.
And even with an approximation, this is possible:

Oh, both char A and B suddenly switched from < 1 day old to < 1week old at the same time? They might be alts.

If that becomes an issue, it can be further countered with some pseudo-randomness.