Bots can't mail

call.mail.player.BOTID.inbox.send returns system.accessDenied and call.mail.bot.BOTID.inbox.send doesn’t exist.

Arguably, bots should be able to at least send mail from their fromCharId.

@Accipiter pls fix!

1 Like

I came across the same issue, mailing was disabled from the get go and it means I can’t allert players of any changes in terms and conditions of my bot as well as not being able to alert offline players of any transaction towards them.

my is stuck it do not under stand me

Yes, the mail restriction was at least intentional (unlike other missing bot features like getChar). But I don’t mind reconsidering.

Bots reading mail (Not what you asked for it though :slight_smile: )
This is mainly restricted to avoid leaking info about your other characters and their communication when running a third party bot script.
But while less useful in comparison to sending mail, it could still be possible to allow bots access to mail sent to that specific character. This way, we can ev

Bots sending mail
This restriction was mainly to avoid spam misuse.
But… since bot scripting is for supporter and pioneer accounts only, I guess that the risk if fairly low - you don’t want to risk your account.
Also, it is currently possible to make a non-bot script that uses the client API that performs the same mail spamming. So, little is won by preventing bots from mailing…

Okay.
After arguing with myself a bit, I tend to agree; We should allow bot scripts to send mail.

1 Like

Maybe if you have the same rate limiting time for players mailing with bots, this should prevent spam and misuse in the future. After all mail shouldn’t be sent to often, only if a player is offline.

My use case is literally spamming people with advertisements :smiley: I’d think what you actually want to do is to rate-limit the outgoing mails and then rate-limit them per destination further.

1 Like

I can imagine this popping up on my mail:
Now streaming buy 10 get one free.

Omg, I have a funny idea. What if we were to simulate onion routing on wolfery with bots? Lol

I don’t think @Accipiter meant us to run a TOR node over wolfery mails when he wrote “stress testing”.

1 Like

Lmao ik, just a thought lol.

No spam mails. Nnh, even if we rate limit bot mail I’m afraid the first use case will be yeah… mail everyone in realm. Mmh, maybe if you opt in and ‘subscribe’ to a bots mails? I do very see the use case for bot mail.

2 Likes

So, about that extended warranty…

1 Like

This would actually be really good way to solve it.
I also see a value of bots being able to mail - but only for purposes where you actually agree to receive that mail.

Something like:

allow Newsletter Bot : mail = yes
3 Likes