Allowing . (period) to be used in names

Recently I have changed the name of one of my most used characters from Computer Alpha to Alpha v1 137 40. This is supposed to be v1.137.40, but because you can’t have “.” in your name, it makes that not possible, and I was wondering if this could be changed so that way “.” can be used in character names.

2 Likes

Makes sense to me, on top of it would make contractions in names look better too.

I can imagine a character without a significant first name could be named Mr. Smith and people would probably use suffixes like Jr. or Sr. too. It would also work great for initials because Alyx A. Avocado just looks more correct than Alyx A Avocado.

1 Like

Good points. We probably should allow dot (.) as well. I might not allow consecutive dots though.
Maybe I can fix it while at the same time getting rid of double/tripple dash names (-- and ---).

1 Like

I obviously have opinions about this, but I will say that having to count out the number of dashes in someone’s last name would eventually drive me to distraction. Was it five or seven dashes?

1 Like

I try to think up a last name fitting for my character before I leave the train.
Otherwise I don’t introduce my char till I have a good surname picked.

The “Tlan” component of my name is the surname.

1 Like

Interesting system there~