Ability to lock the room

Imagine this: You are in your room inside a house, writing a book or playing video games with someone else and you don’t want anyone inside your house coming in and interrupting you. The room you are in can be freely accessed by someone as there isn’t a barrier, so the idea is to have the ability to lock the room to prevent access from someone outside, while also allowing anyone inside the room to continue their activity without interruption.

In my proposal, there would be a 7th box that has the ability to lock the room as shown below. The room owner can enable it by either typing Lock Room (ID) or manually going into the room and enabling it through the settings. There will be 2 messages that can be edited. One can only be seen by the player attempting to enter the room as shown at the bottom, while the other one is seen by anyone locked inside the room when a player attempts to enter.

Example of the player attempting to enter the locked room.
The other is seen by anyone inside the locked room.

As simple as it sounds, it will lock people outside and prevent them from entering the room, while preventing people inside the room from leaving. If in case the player intended to spam the button, which will cause the same message to appear, there will be a time interval between attempts to enter a locked room. The default setting should be 10 minutes, but the owner has the option to set it to how long they desire.

There are some bit of drawbacks. Aside from the moderator’s and builder’s ability to bypass the lock, anyone inside may manually teleport out of there if they feel confined. People can still be swept away if asleep, and some players may not know how to teleport out of there.

This is great if you wish to have more sense of privacy to have sex, lock rooms that are not yet released to the public, and don’t wanna go through the hassle of manually setting an exit, prison RP, or in some cases, torture someone when they couldn’t escape.

1 Like

This has been suggested for a good while. Locks of various sorts on rooms and areas would be great. Requires a number of fail-safes to be built in though so they don’t get broken from being locked from the inside prior to someone dcing or logging out, etc

3 Likes

They can always TP out of there.

1 Like

Yes, locks has been brought up in various forms from the very start, I think.

The issue with them is that there are so many possible variants that players might want to have:

• Locks requiring a pass phrase
  • Locks requiring the character being on a white list
  • Locks that can be locked from the target room (and needs to be auto-unlocked on an empty room)
  • Locks requiring an item or tag
  • Locks that propagates a message (like @Scarlet_Himari suggested), or those that do not.
  • etc.

So, in the end, I felt I’d rather have that solved by the “scripting feature” that I hope to build. I mentioned it under LUA scripting in this topic:

1 Like

Super excited about this addition ^w^
How will the code work? will it be written in wolfery or imported from the computer?
What will the code have access to?
Will it have access to various other connected rooms allowing for interconnected rooms?