Ability to change room exit ID

Hey there! I would love to suggest a feature that I think would be somewhat convenient for those with an area that has multiple floors or who just want to move things around.

The idea is that when you want to change the destination ID to another room, you can do so by editing the room and changing the Room ID to another one. The reason is that when I had to move one of the aisles to the 2nd floor citing space issues, I have to go to each room where it goes to the affected aisle (since the aisle on the 1st floor will go to the 2nd floor), create a new destination with a random keyword, copy and randomize the keyboard, delete the keyboard, and then paste the new destination with the same keyword.

The other thing I should note is that if someone entered a room ID that is owned by someone else, the game will ask the player if they really want to and send a request to the owner to do so.

Here’s the concept of what it’ll look like.
(Option)
(Request)

So on conflict it would request sometime else (likely not active) to change their room ID to something else and likely screw all their exits in turn?

Edit: Guess I was tired and confused. Being able to edit exit id’s isn’t a bad idea.

Regardless of how it gets done: it would be nice to be able to redirect an exit to a different room ID after it’s been made rather than having to delete it and remake it fresh, at least while dealing with one’s own rooms.

As far as handling an redirecting to rooms owned by others, we would need exits to have an easily addressable id# of some sort themselves do we could readily ask ‘request link exitid#=here (or roomid#)’ in the room we want to link an existing exit to (or something similar logic wise with a more normal command structuring).

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what I mean because it was very annoying to go through each over a simple change.

It could possibly be a great idea, however… It would open up a lot of glitches that could cause people to lose rooms permanently (only re-deemable from a backup - I hope there is one). While you could try to restrict as many possible conflict one could sneak through and cause a lot of harm. So While I don’t speak for everyone, I believe that the negatives out weigh the positives.

Yes, I like the idea. The main reason why it doesn’t exist yet is because it would (as @Scarlet_Himari pointed out) require sending requests if the target room is not owned. And requests are a bit tiresome to implement.

But yes, we need this.

An owner can always reach their own rooms by teleportation, even without exists:

help list rooms

And then you can teleport by ID. Eg.:

teleport #bv4b0ogt8749qsg77l9g

Also, yes. I make incremental backup every 30 min. You never notice because it is so smoooooth :sunglasses:.

2 Likes