A Community Note from your Wolfery moderation staff

I want to step in and say my part here, if that’s alright.
As a supporter, player, area owner, and a friend of Dust’s-
who hasn’t been in contact with the mods-
To say the mods prioritise the health and safety of the community is hard to hear.

The way Dust was seemingly treated to begin with, seemed to be with none of that in mind. What should have been a professional explanation of the situation, and the reasoning behind the following ban, seemed like an attack against him, with no heed to his health or wellbeing, and was more of a slap on the wrist from what felt like a primary school teacher handing out detentions.

To attack someone so blatantly, accusing them, calling them harmful words, and following it with a confusing and seemingly unwarranted ban seems so wrong on so many levels. At no point did it seem like someone had provided him with details on how to go about solving the situation in a professional manner.

As an area owner with prior intention to reach out about expanding my area, I have been nervous and anxious to reach out to the mod team, and any staff for that fact in order to do so. For the blatant mistreatment of my friend. Hell, even posting this has caused me enough stress to need a moment away from things. Worried that the same unexpected, unwarranted fate might fall on me next.

4 Likes
  • “And this one still sounds really questionable considering you admitted out elsewhere that you don’t proactively let people know how they could even begin to discuss a ban being reversed or how to file a grievance.”

To clarify, what I expressed elsewhere, and happily express here because it is indeed an ongoing concern for us is: we currently struggle to get players to develop awareness of the rules and expectations in a reliable way. The most visible case of this is the frequency with which Area Rules are not consulted, and thus infractions occur.

We have rules, we point to them, they are published and available. It is a problem that ‘You fox prevent errors caused by not reading the manual in the manual’. We have made some strides in improving this situation, but it is far from perfect.

Additionally, we make a point, when we discuss a ban being issued, of informing the users directly what their options of appeal are. Bans are, contrary to the impression on might get reading this discussion, exceedingly rare, and we outline them clearly.

It is important to note that Shinyzorua07 was informed that they can make an appeal here on the forum, even though the deduction at the time was that they were a user who had already been banned and made well aware of their means of contesting the ban, out of our commitment to due diligence.

• “No, it sounds like to you it just matters that it’s another bannable offense that makes it easier for you to just move on and forget having to potentially correct a mistake you made.”

This is primarily a matter of establishing expectations. Again, it is required for harm mitigation: we need people under a ban to remain off Wolfery until such time as we can establish that their ban merits a reversal. If not, then bad actors have leeway to continue harm during the, as mentioned, very long review point.

• “my principles of assuming people are innocent until they’ve been proven guilty of causing some harm, the principle of not holding people liable for offenses caused through entrapment and the principle of considering the least harm solutions to issues of authority.”

As mentioned, we do not operate under the idea that conclusive proof is required for action. Conclusive proof as a requirement would cripple our community. We operate on reaching a consensus as to the most likely action which has the greatest benefit for the community. Further, we hold at any point in time the position that we act in accordance with what the most likely state of affairs is.

I will note, also, that the claim of entrapment is baseless. That would imply that we provided incentives to act outside the rules, which I discussed above is not substantiated as a claim here.

On the least harm point, we are in agreement about the principle itself, but not about what constitutes the action of least harm. We have, previously, talked about this at length. You believe that a ban should require definitive proof, we do not. You believe that a single good actor is more positive for a community than a bad actor is negative, we do not.

• " know for a fact that I have never created more than one account EVER. And in the same case I have never been banned EVER till now. I know both of these to be true,"

You may personally know that for a fact, but we don’t. If we based our judgements on the degree of fervency with which people asserted their position, there would be no recourse to any form of safety or stability. We simply cannot just take people at their word.

• “disregarding my evidence over and over”

We are not disregarding it, we are disagreeing with your judgement of its value as evidence.

• " I reached out to the individuals I said could prove Pheonix and I were different since they were involved in rps with the two of us and all of them have said they haven’t been reached out to by mods at all."

This is a verifiable falsehood. I have spoken to several of them. Either they are lying to you, or you are lying to us.

• “Every time I bring up not being Pheonix it’s either, “It doesn’t matter if you are or aren’t Pheonix, you ban evaded.” Or “Well that’s only part of it, you also have to prove that you haven’t ban evaded.””

This is correct, it’s not one or the other, both issues are relevant, but require different information and have different implications. It is a complex issue, hence the length of this discussion.

• “didn’t even create another account to reach out and tell others that I was banned, I simply relied on the friends I thankfully had on discord to help push out the message”

This is good, and perfectly fine. It is not a problem to reach out to your friends. And from the information available, we are fairly certain you didn’t create an account to reach out to them. That does not mean you did not create an account, though. And it doesn’t mean you did.

The implication is centered around the probability that ban evasion took place is simply more likely, given the number of correlations we can observe, than the combination of circumstances which would need to happen to cause this to be by accident. Therefor, until such time as we can identify evidence which makes those coincidences more likely than ban evasion, we will act as though ban evasion is the state of affairs.

• “As usual I wish there was some way to prove that I’ve only had one account, but the only thing I can think of is my first registration email that was probably deleted once it was confirmed. Any other emails from wolfery that I got were either mails that were sent to me or forum posts that mentioned me.”

This gets at the heart of the matter as a complex issue: even if you could show us those emails, they would not prove that you did not engage in ban evasion last week. And, for what it’s worth, they would not prove that you are distinct from Pheonix. In an anonymous environment, it is trivial to separate completely two different account clusters.

1 Like

I am very sorry that you feel this way, but if the environment is not in alignment with your principles, then I cannot fault you for feeling so. We truly try to make it a community which is as receptive to everyone as possible, but there are distinct opportunity costs to every choice we make.

1 Like
  • “The way Dust was seemingly treated to begin with, seemed to be with none of that in mind. What should have been a professional explanation of the situation,”

Reading the logs, I would disagree with this interpretation. A measure of defensiveness is understandable in such a situation, but to my estimation, Raeth was calm and direct. He gave frank advice which is intended to help, and informed Shinyzorua07 of the means to appeal.

• “To attack someone so blatantly, accusing them, calling them harmful words, and following it with a confusing and seemingly unwarranted ban seems so wrong on so many levels.”

The conversation was neither attacking, not accusatory. I can see one instance where a turn of phrase can be considered harmful, though it refers to a behavior, and not their character. That the ban would be confusing or unwarranted is, at length, what has been discussed here, but for all the reasons above simply stating that it is felt to be unwarranted is a distinction of perspective.

We recognize that you and Shinyzorua07’s friends believe that the ban is unwarranted. We do not. It is not absolute, and my yet be overturned on discovery of further evidence. But, because that evidence is not currently extant, that means that our consensus is that, at this moment with the evidence we have, the ban is warranted.

• “At no point did it seem like someone had provided him with details on how to go about solving the situation in a professional manner.”

They were very directly informed that recourse to an appeal was via the forums, and ongoing contact was held. We do regret that the timeframe is so long, but the difficulties in establishing and acquiring evidence of this nature are substantial.

• “As an area owner with prior intention to reach out about expanding my area, I have been nervous and anxious to reach out to the mod team, and any staff for that fact in order to do so. For the blatant mistreatment of my friend. Hell, even posting this has caused me enough stress to need a moment away from things. Worried that the same unexpected, unwarranted fate might fall on me next.”

Though it is a constituent point which is contingent on other elements of trust, I will reiterate that we make a policy of very firmly seeking out input from everyone, and actively want people to participate in these actions as much as possible.

I recognize that the perception is ‘someone was banned flippantly, and thus anything I might do is dangerous’. However, though it is the perspective of Shinyzorua07 that their ban was thoughtless and random, and unwarranted, we have outlined in detail the reasons for which this is not the case.

It has been well established by now that if the ban is, in the future, one which will be reascended, it will be done so on basis of the fact that we find viable evidence that an outlier anomaly did indeed occur- a situation in which a collection of several unlikely occurrences lined up. For the same fate to occur, similar unlikely situations would also have to occur.

Now, I know that part of the discussion has been the exact degree of likelihood of those situations. To which I will reply again that the key factor is that we are in agreement that they are sufficiently unlikely to warrant action when weighed against the consequences of not acting.

Does that mean that it is possible for a ban to be issued to a player on basis of an accidental alignment of unlikely factors? Yes, absolutely. This is unfortunate, but an unavoidable consequence of the environment. To implement a system which would be sufficiently unlikely to allow that from happening would reduce the capability of staff to respond to threats beyond a level which is sustainable for an online community.

1 Like

I know for a fact they didn’t lie. I reached out to Selene, Pepper, and Imeros and all three haven’t heard anything from mods. They have no reason to lie about that and I’d gladly say if one had been reached out to. So if y’all did in fact reach out to them I’d like to know who you did. Because I can’t reasonably believe that y’all reached out to all of them when all of them agree that they didn’t get any sort of message from y’all.

And since we’re now bringing up Raeth, his behavior is far from calm and direct for the most part. I’m not sure if you’ve seen the logs when he banned me from wolfery itself, but he was simply attacking me and not listening to a single thing I said. The same was true to a certain point on the forums dms where he suddenly flips to being somewhat professional in his wording of things before shutting everything I said down and simply saying he’s done with the matter when I was not. Many of the things he’s said after the fact, including the screenshot above, were written in a somewhat passive aggressive way.

3 Likes

Hmmmmm not threatening right? RIGHT?!!!
image|690x93

3 Likes

The intersection of your list and mine are neither perfectly overlapping, nor disjoint. If any of them reach out to me and discuss the situation, then I will bring up their interactions if they wish.

I have seen the logs of the night on which you were banned, I have seen the logs of your conversations on the forums, and I have seen the logs of the associated character’s interactions at which points the prior bans were issued.

I recognize that you feel he was attacking you, and I am very sorry that there is a miscommunication on the tenor of the conversation there, but I do not believe that his conduct was unprofessional.

In terms of the notion that it seems as though he has shut you down, or been finished with the matter, there is a limit to how much productive back and forth we can have. As I say, there is an amount of necessary patience in resolving these issues, and little more productivity that can be gained in response to more of the same sort of evidence. His curtness is a reflection of that, but to impose that brevity implies unprofessionalism is unwarranted.

1 Like

This is not threatening. This is earnest advice given to a person who, in your experience, is taking a dangerous and hard road. I know it can be tough to hear, but when we give people this sort of feedback, it is out of a desire for them to turn around.

If you presume that, in contradiction to the available evidence, Raeth was not communicating with a person of ongoing rapport, this could certainly seem uncalled for, but contextually it is appropriate and, in point of fact, an attempt to bolster that very sense of well-being we discussed earlier.

1 Like

It’s not that his brevity was unprofessional it’s the fact that I continued to ask for more information to help y’all realize I am innocent and not Pheonix, the same thing I’m still doing now, and y’all can’t give me anything I can give you to prove my innocence in the same way y’all won’t provide the minute details of why I’m banned past an IP match, continued belief that I am Pheonix, and the fact that I have ban evaded before. Past the IP match you’ve given me no proof past your words and after definitely lying about reaching out to those I said could vouch for me not being Pheonix I will have trouble believing anything you say further as truth in any way. I wish I could believe you wish me the best, but all today has done is make me think y’all simply want to be done with this and sweep it under the rug which will not happen.

It is most certainly threatening, especially in the context of me telling him I’m not Pheonix and attempting to ask how I can prove it. He had his mind set on being “holier than thou” and just spouting something I can’t use for myself before banning me. I knew when he wasn’t listening that I would have to save that to show others how Raeth truly is behind the kind character he plays.

2 Likes
  • " ask for more information to help y’all realize I am innocent and not Pheonix, the same thing I’m still doing now, and y’all can’t give me anything I can give you to prove my innocence in the same way y’all won’t provide the minute details of why I’m banned past an IP match"

We cannot give you what we do not have, and we will not give you information which would undermine our ability to moderate the community.

• " Past the IP match you’ve given me no proof past your words "

This is because the information, aside from the IP match, is information which is privileged by virtue of its impact on our reasoning. If we give it to you, you would be able to fake any proof we might identify later, it would make your ban permanent and un-appealable.

• “will have trouble believing anything you say further as truth in any way”

I am sorry that this is the case. I recognize that you are more inclined to believe your friends than us, but unfortunately there is nothing I can do to assuage that, given that the requirements to demonstrate the contrary would be inimical to our principles.

-“y’all simply want to be done with this and sweep it under the rug which will not happen”

I have dedicated my entire day to replying in detail to every concern addressed, and providing as much feedback and explanation as is possibly. If I wanted to sweep it under the rug, I would have taken substantially different actions.

-“It is most certainly threatening, especially in the context of me telling him I’m not Pheonix and attempting to ask how I can prove it. He had his mind set on being “holier than thou” and just spouting something I can’t use for myself before banning me. I knew when he wasn’t listening that I would have to save that to show others how Raeth truly is behind the kind character he plays.”

Alternatively, in the context that the available evidence suggests that you are Pheonix, a person with whom he has a history and rapport, then his attempts to converse and get through are a direct sign that he is trying to help. Remember, no matter how firmly you assert that you are not Pheonix, his actions are to be taken in the context of his perception of the situation: that you are Pheonix.

We do not, here, evaluate people on basis of their behavior as though they are perfectly appraised of the state of the world, we evaluate them on basis of their actions in context of what information they have access to.

1 Like

Any staff member from any where should not call a member of any community ‘Gross’ in any sense of the word.
You shouldn’t attack and belittle. Say that they’ve ‘already turned multiple people against you’ or that ‘you will permanently ruin your chances with people’.

Despite the claims of being someone else.
Even if the ban is justified. That is unacceptable. At least to me. I don’t stand for everyone. But saying that using those words are not threating and that it’s earnest advice is awful.

That’s far from any sort of advice. You are staff members. Not higher beings set out to give advice to sinners. You should focus on doing your job. Providing a clear understanding of a situation to someone, and providing support for either side. Regardless of right or wrong.

6 Likes

Frankly, and this is with me having seen the wider context around it too, to me this reads as “I can ruin your reputation, and you will have to fight decades to make it right again. Your actions have consequences.” If that’s not threatening and spoken like a true mobster, I don’t know what is. In fact, with the context immediately preceding it, it is even more threatening.

And the worst part is that with the context, it reads like a villain giving a monologue just before they’re about to pull the lever that slays the hero. Nothing said in response is taken in.

I lied… The worst part is you claiming to have read this and saying that you don’t see it.

4 Likes

You don’t want to sweep this under the rug anymore because you have gone too far. Too many people have seen this and now have their own opinions on this and as such you have two options: fold or do as you’re already doing, continue to double down and give vague words as to why you can’t tell me ways to prove my innocence. If my previous lack of understanding and still not fully understanding VPNs is any indication, I probably can’t fake whatever it is you’re insinuating. I can use photoshop, but not to an amazing degree to create deep fakes and such. I feel like whatever you could possibly tell me to further give me information for my innocence won’t be as easy as a simple photoshop to spoof. You can of course reject that and say it is that easy, but I would never know since you won’t tell me what it is. I can only guess and as I’ve exhausted the proof that y’all say isn’t good enough, past actually talking to the individuals that can prove I’m not Pheonix at the very least, I will simply wait for Accipiter’s word and continue to fight against y’alls incorrect claims.

3 Likes
  • “Any staff member from any where should not call a member of any community ‘Gross’ in any sense of the word.”

Raeth did not refer to a person, he referred to a behavior.

• “You shouldn’t attack and belittle. Say that they’ve ‘already turned multiple people against you’ or that ‘you will permanently ruin your chances with people’.”

Raeth did not attack Shinyzorua07, he described, quite accurately, Pheonix’s behaviors, and the likely consequences thereof.

-“But saying that using those words are not threating and that it’s earnest advice is awful.”

We make every attempt to reach people. There are points where frank, direct discussion is critical, and places where formalism is critical. Ultimately, it is a matter of making your best attempt to get through to someone. If it comes across as crass, that is unfortunate in certain contexts, but Raeth did not insult a personage, he described behaviors.

• “You are staff members. Not higher beings set out to give advice to sinners. You should focus on doing your job. Providing a clear understanding of a situation to someone, and providing support for either side. Regardless of right or wrong.”

Our job is to guide the community. On occasion, that means providing guidance and advice to people who are struggling to live up to the standards of our community. On occasion this means making a decision which is to the detriment of one user in support of others. Supporting both sides is not always possible, support for one can be detrimental to many.

Our job is not to tend to the needs of individuals, it is to tend to the needs of the community as a whole. That means investigating circumstances and determining what course of actions serves the community best. Which means making efforts to help people who are harming the community turn around.

• “this reads as “I can ruin your reputation, and you will have to fight decades to make it right again. Your actions have consequences.””

The phrase ‘you will’ implies it is prospective. Again, interpret this in the light that Raeth is talking to Pheonix.

• “the worst part is that with the context, it reads like a villain giving a monologue just before they’re about to pull the lever that slays the hero.”

Or the part in a story where a concerned authority figure has a frank conversation with a character about the consequences of their actions.

• " The worst part is you claiming to have read this and saying that you don’t see it."

I have come to a different conclusion that you regarding available information.

2 Likes

Doubt it, otherwise Pheonix’s name would’ve been mentioned if you ask me, this one was definitely pointed towards shinyzorua07

3 Likes

A behaviour that the person he was talking to was very clearly being accused of in the same sentence, hence making it about the person quite directly.

This feels like it’s getting to a somewhat ridiculous level of redirection now.

3 Likes
  • “fold or do as you’re already doing, continue to double down and give vague words as to why you can’t tell me ways to prove my innocence”

Consider that if there were no way that I could give you these ways, I would be saying the same thing as I am now.

• “If my previous lack of understanding and still not fully understanding VPNs is any indication, I probably can’t fake whatever it is you’re insinuating”

Either your lack of understanding put you in the way to be a victim of circumstance, or is an element of subterfuge and claiming to not understand them bolsters your point. It is impossible to determine which. You say you can’t use photoshop, but that’s what you’d say if you photoshopped the images. The crux of the issue is that what you would say in either case is identical.

• “whatever you could possibly tell me to further give me information for my innocence won’t be as easy as a simple photoshop to spoof”

It would not be, because we have nothing to give you. Working on user verification for cases like this is an ongoing problem we are working on, but at current time, we lack the means to perform any such direct verification. In essence, we have nothing to tell you.

• " I will simply wait for Accipiter’s word"

Accipiter may be able to provide us with additional information. As I have stated, if he does, we will revisit our conclusions.

1 Like

Heya, I just want to add that in our initial interaction after I invited you aside, you proactively declared that you weren’t Pheonix. That you immediately called the situation to light before I could say anything was so incredibly suspicious that I honestly believed you were Pheonix as a result. The actions I took and followed up on did not rely on that belief, but made me confident to address Phoenix, and given the context, I felt it was clear that was what I was doing. I expected to have precious little time to reach Pheonix with that message, and wanted it to be as impactful as possible as a plea to reform. I worry that their behavior will follow them, and I don’t want to see them suffer what I’ve seen other people go through.

I understand how those few initial statements directed at Pheonix could be hurtful if it wasn’t clear that I was speaking to them alone. I deeply apologize for any negativity they may have brought anyone, especially since that would be the exact opposite of my intent. I hope the time, attention, and reassurances I offered in our lengthy discussion after made that clear.

Still, even if I was focused on examining the situation and interacting with you, I could have done better by speaking to it as a contingency. I could have also qualified those statements better initially. That’s on me alone.

1 Like

Raeth was operating under the evidence that suggests Pheonix and Shinyzorua07 are the same person.

1 Like

There is a difference between criticizing the behavior that a person does, and the person themselves. Frequently, disentangling the conflation of the two is one of our key tasks when we are attempting to guide people.

1 Like